Apple introduces 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 225
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

£329 (inc VAT) for the 16GB iPhone here in the UK. That's $650. Ouch!

Where (besides Engadget) did you get that price exactly?
  • Reply 22 of 225
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Gotta free up $500 fast now.

Anybody want a black 80Gb 5G VidPod? Got a feeling it's gonna go unused real soon.
  • Reply 23 of 225
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Macworld UK is reporting Duffy doing a gig on the 15th Feb in the Regent Street store. I wonder if that corresponds with some other (more interesting) product updates?

Given that it's Duffy, any new products will presumably be bland and over-rateed.
  • Reply 24 of 225
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I don't care about 3G. In US 3G is not available in all areas. I don't want to pay more for feature that is not available in my area. I like the added memory more. I will probably replace my iphone when I they release 64 GB iPhone
  • Reply 25 of 225
    I'm kinda surprised by this and worried what it means for the launch of the new MacBook Pros and MacBooks.

While I'm no expert on Apple launch dates, this seems sort of unlike Apple to do, usually they upgrade their iPods all at once during the autumn...

Personally, I think 500 for the 32G is way to much, but if u keep in mind what they are charging for the SSD of 64Gb, it kinda makes since, but would still have been nice if the line would have seen a 50-100 price drop or if they just removed the 8G all together and replaced the 8G-16G, 16-32G at the same price points.

For me, now comes the question, do I really wanna fork out 500 for 32G, nothing lesser will do...
  • Reply 26 of 225
    Quote:

To contrast, on O2's homepage today they're advertising the Black 8GB N95 for free.

Macworld UK is reporting Duffy doing a gig on the 15th Feb in the Regent Street store. I wonder if that corresponds with some other (more interesting) product updates?

The N95 costs about $650 (unlocked) over here in the States. No carrier subsidises them. A free N95 and a $650 iPhone is clearly a better deal than a $650 N95 and a $499 iPhone, so kwitcherbitchin.
  • Reply 27 of 225
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Those are much more sensible than the original sizes, good job Apple.

Remember a gigabyte isn't what it used to be. The 8GB phone was too low and the quickly discontinued 4GB one just deserved a blank stare.
  • Reply 28 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

From the Register article quoted earlier in the thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShavenYak View Post

The N95 costs about $650 (unlocked) over here in the States. No carrier subsidises them. A free N95 and a $650 iPhone is clearly a better deal than a $650 N95 and a $499 iPhone, so kwitcherbitchin.

But I'm not in Kansas, Toto.
  • Reply 29 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

Great news, iJust bought an iphone, now Apple has given me the opportunity to go out and buy another one!

word to the wise: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

It never hurts to do a little research before shelling out hundreds of dollars. They've had this thing on "don't buy" for quite some time.
  • Reply 30 of 225
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Those are much more sensible than the original sizes, good job Apple.

Remember a gigabyte isn't what it used to be. The 8GB phone was too low and the quickly discontinued 4GB one just deserved a blank stare.

I suppose it's all what you use it for... I have the 8gb and I still have about 2 gigs empty.. Not because I can't fill it up, but because I just don't watch media on my iPhone.. I use it mainly for phone, mail and Safari... Add to that about 100 of my favorite albums and about 500 photos.. That brings me under 6 gigs and I honestly can't see needing any more than that for my phone..
  • Reply 31 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itune...S&NewsID=20350 also has it at £329
  • Reply 32 of 225
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Doesn't it usually work that after a long period of time the price of storage goes down? The increased model then sells for the same as the high end previous version? What gives this time? The 8 &16 GB flash drive hasn't decreased in cost since last September- 6 months? Wouldn't these drop in another 3 months at most? Who would buy now at these prices?
  • Reply 33 of 225
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iextreme View Post

I'm kinda surprised by this and worried what it means for the launch of the new MacBook Pros and MacBooks.

While I'm no expert on Apple launch dates, this seems sort of unlike Apple to do, usually they upgrade their iPods all at once during the autumn...

This is the same pattern they follow almost every year.

1. Macworld gives us the launch of new, redesigned, or quite significantly upgraded products.

2. People get upset that the normal speed/feature bump of an existing product that is due for an update doesn't happen.

3. The updates that didn't happen in 2 get rolled out during February and March.

In the end, this was a very minor update. The storage increased, but so did the price. It's nothing to get excited about, which is why Apple saw fit to release it on Super Tuesday, when the attention is pretty low.

MBPs might be next week, or they might not be for 6 weeks, but they'll be here by the end of March, guaranteed.
  • Reply 34 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

How did they fast track this through FFC testing without anyone getting word out?n

What part of the FCC handles non-radio, solid state memory?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Gah, why did they have to raise the price 100 bucks, faaaaaaaaaaaack.

They didn't raise the price of the 8GB iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by .mac View Post

no 3G

and no updates to mac line (

We will know when a 3G version is coming because the FCC will get ahold of it. Apple will try to make this as fast as possible now so we should see it in stores 8-12 weeks later. I beliive it took 3 months last time, and Im guessing will be able to get this fast tracked. 2.75G iPhone sales will drop significantly once it hits the FCC.

I agree with Flounder, the MB and MBPs will be updated before the end of March accroding to Apple's history. But first Apple needs to give the MBA some time to shine alone as their new portable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't care about 3G. In US 3G is not available in all areas. I don't want to pay more for feature that is not available in my area. I like the added memory more. I will probably replace my iphone when I they release 64 GB iPhone

I have 1TB of media so I'm not getting one until they have a 1TB SSDs for the iPhone. Seriously, if you want 64GB you'll be waiting awhile. Besides the enormous cost, they don't even that quantity of SSD that will fit in the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

This is the same pattern they follow almost every year.

1. Macworld gives us the launch of new, redesigned, or quite significantly upgraded products.

2. People get upset that the normal speed/feature bump of an existing product that is due for an update doesn't happen.

3. The updates that didn't happen in 2 get rolled out during February and March.

In the end, this was a very minor update. The storage increased, but so did the price. It's nothing to get excited about, which is why Apple saw fit to release it on Super Tuesday, when the attention is pretty low.

MBPs might be next week, or they might not be for 6 weeks, but they'll be here by the end of March, guaranteed.

There is also another pattern.

1. Apple releases new product or an update to existing product.

2. People start to rejoice that a long awaiting item is here.

3. The rejoicing gets muted by the bellyaching of those who expected more for a lower price or who were expecting something else altogether.

PS: I have a hunch that 10.5.2 will be released this afternoon around 12:30 PST.
  • Reply 35 of 225
    Quote:

To contrast, on O2's homepage today they're advertising the Black 8GB N95 for free.

But then you're stuck with an N95 instead of an iPhone. The two certainly aren't equivalent.

There's a reason they're free.
  • Reply 36 of 225
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't care about 3G. In US 3G is not available in all areas.

This is an important statement as most people do not realize that although you may have a 3G capable phone that does not mean that you will receive 3G if you are not in an area that has it. Even in Southern California there are many pockets where you cannot receive 3G, and your phone will simply default to Edge. It is even worse when you happen to live in an area where you can only get Edge and a mile or so away your friend can get 3G. Having a capable 3G phone is no guarantee you will receive 3G.
  • Reply 37 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Gah, why did they have to raise the price 100 bucks, faaaaaaaaaaaack.

What are you talking about: Relative to when I bought mine, they have doubled the memory and lowered the price $100!
  • Reply 38 of 225
    Hey Flounder,

Thanks for clearing that up for me, appreciate it!

But I'm not really worried about the MBP update as I'm not in the market for a new laptop until end of June or July. But that kinda worries me, cause I'll come close to the yearly october/november refresh and I really want a new MacBook that is rumored to maybe come in Aluminum.

The reason I'm worried about this is that I am currently in Japan, but leave in July and my Bro is in America but is leaving in August. Both places, Apple products are between 30-45% cheaper than Sweden...

I don't want to pay a premium just cause I'm not American or Japanese!
  • Reply 39 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silver99 View Post

Why would they have to go through the FFC or FCC or whatever for just a simple memory upgrade. It's not like they're creating a whole new product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What part of the FCC handles non-radio, solid state memory?

I don't know, but it seems like Sony has to go through FCC revision for even a simple colour update. Also, I was under the impression that motherboards have to pass (self testing admittedly) FCC regulations, so it's not impossible that there are some regulations for memory, right? There was a Gigabyte motherboard that failed to meet the regulations, but still went to market.

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with the FCC though.

/Adrian
  • Reply 40 of 225
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

How did they fast track this through FFC testing without anyone getting word out?

The memory chips probably have been tested to have the same RF charactaristics. If the radio is on a separate board, they don't change the radio, antenna or anything that might affect interference, I don't think it needs to be retested.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wazup5416km View Post

$500 for 32GB? I don't think so.

I'll take an 8 GB. All I want is the internet and mail.

That's been available all along.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

word to the wise: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

It never hurts to do a little research before shelling out hundreds of dollars. They've had this thing on "don't buy" for quite some time.

I don't think their rating could have been considered accurate with just one data point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Doesn't it usually work that after a long period of time the price of storage goes down? The increased model then sells for the same as the high end previous version? What gives this time? The 8 &16 GB flash drive hasn't decreased in cost since last September- 6 months? Wouldn't these drop in another 3 months at most? Who would buy now at these prices?

I don't think they have competition yet. A quick search turns up no other media phones / smart phones with 16GB of memory. I expect that will change in three months, but for now, no.