Hard Drive upgrade. How should I split it up?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm putting one of the new 7200 200Gig drives in my laptop. I'm looking to install Bootcamp/Parallels so that i can go to the dark side when I want to. I looking for input on how to split the disk between windows and Mac OS.

I'm not planning on doing a lot on the Windows side. I'm installing it for Office and maybe some games. The odd ball app that the sig' other wants to use that Mac OS doesn't have.

Do I need a partition to go between the two? Has anyone found that to be very useful? I mostly run off of flash drives. I may not need HD space devoted to moving stuff between the two spaces.

What have others done?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Hey Mydo,

Well, if you are going to use Parallels, you do not need to partition anything. Parallels will create a virtual drive and it will "stretch" as you use it. (best deal here).

If you want to boot via Boot Camp, then you wil need to partition your HD. If you are not going to have many files on your Windows partition then, get the minimum space allowed by Boot Camp.

Hope this helps, but I would, honestly recommend using parallels. Cos, whenever you need to get rid of windows, all you have to do is delete the virtual disk and get all the space back with no hassle.

• Reply 2 of 2
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Hum? I don't know what i want exactly. Mostly I want to use Office in Windows because it sucks in the Mac OS.

I feel like I may want to dual boot but I can't say why right now.

The new hard drive is fantastic. The replacement was easy if I forget about the four screws I forgot to take out before prying up the top plate.

Partitioning is not that big a deal for me. I used Time Machine to restore and everything was fine.

I'll do parallels first and if I change my mind. Then again maybe not?