can't dual install cs2 after cs3??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Wonder if anyone has come across this problem:

I just purchased a new MacPro running 10.5.1 and have installed Adobe cs3, the problem is I run my old computer with InDesign cs2 on a G4 running 10.3.9 offsite for business and I bring work home to run on my new mac - problem is I cannot load cs2 alongside cs3 - the option to install is greyed out - I can however install Photoshop and Imageready and Illustrator.

I know you can save as an interchange document but lets face it - 120 pages a month being saved backwards and forwards is a recipe for disater.

Someone mentioned uninstalling cs3 altogether and reinstalling cs2 first - then reinstall cs3 and all it's updates *groan* which would be fine but I blew my bandwidth downloading all the updates and new software in the first place and don't look forward to redoing it all with a dial-up speed.

Is there anyway to 'hide' cs3 InDesign while I instal cs2 InDesign?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Interesting...

Maybe try archiving the InDesign CS3 directory to a .zip and then try installing CS2?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    move ps folder with the app to the docs folder or something, that app should run from anywhere, it's not like windoze where it has to sit in one spot
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I don't think the problem is the location of the program file as the CS3 file will be named accordingly. It is a problem with the Adobe folder, which does not play nicely with both active CS2 and CS3 apps on the computer. I know it is possible to get some Adobe programs working side-by-side and you can probably learn about it with some diligent internet searching. You might also consider calling Adobe support -- they may entertain you request.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I don't think the problem is the location of the program file as the CS3 file will be named accordingly. It is a problem with the Adobe folder, which does not play nicely with both active CS2 and CS3 apps on the computer. I know it is possible to get some Adobe programs working side-by-side and you can probably learn about it with some diligent internet searching. You might also consider calling Adobe support -- they may entertain you request.

You are right there - the first thing I tried was moving the whole folder, CS2 would have made new folders and it was a no-go. There must be something in the preferences or PS folders that isblocking the install - I will try zip'ing the whole folder so no files are accessible and then if all else fails call Adobe.

I also run some of the Alien Skin filters and some of these don't run in cs3 - like the 3rd party WOW filters so I really do need to have them both up and running - back soon.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ...if you're going to call Adobesoft. I have the same problem wanting to re-install CS2 apps. I called and after spending an hour bounced around India, repeating my serial # again and again, I spoke with an accent-less individual at tech support who informed that ANYTHING having do with CS2 would cost me $39.95 payable by credit card.

No amount of begging or threatening worked, even when I tried the logic that it could be considered a CS3 problem, since CS3 might be blocking the reinstallation of Windows 98, I mean, CS2.

Anyone with a solution please feel free to post. Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The Adobe suite uses the common /Library/Application Support/Adobe folder. It seems like Adobe didn't design the folder layout to accommodate both CS2 and CS3 together reliably - though having said that, some of the computers where I work have both suites on and both sets of apps seem to work and we just installed one after the other, no reinstallation of CS2 required. But on other machines CS3 will sometimes have problems installing until you completely remove the old Adobe folder. I think the only machines with both are PPC so maybe it's an Intel thing.

Probably the most effective way to install it would be to rename the Adobe folder in /Library/Application support/ for CS3. Then install CS2. Then whenever you need to use one or the other, change the name on the Adobe folder. It means you can't run both at the same time though.

The plugin situation is very annoying. It's because they switched to the Mach-O binary format from the CFM one, which they should have done ages ago. Maya was the same. It's insane because you can't make CFM binaries on anything except CodeWarrior and that was discontinued ages ago.

In future it will mean plugins are easier to port to OS X but it should have been done a while ago.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I was having the same problem with InDesign. When launching InDesign CS2, I got a dialog saying "missing fonts or CMaps and need to reinstall InDesign". After calling Adobe-India tech support, got the same info about $39.00 charge to try to fix the problem; said no thanks and figured out a workaround.

I had a working copy of InDesign CS2 on another hard-drive with a working Mac System and found out that under CS2, Adobe installs a few files in the Library folder that it does not in CS3 and these files need to be in the Library folder for InDesign CS2 to work.

Hard-drive with CS2:

Library ? Application Support ? Adobe ? Fonts ?Reqrd

This "Reqrd" folder is not installed with CS3, and contains various font files and CMaps.

Move "Reqrd" folder to same location in Library of hard-drive with CS3. I can now launch both versions of InDesign at the same time and work back and forth with no problems.

Not sure if this will work with Intel Macs also; mine is a pre-Intel Mac, running 10.4.11.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caprica60jama View Post

Move "Reqrd" folder to same location in Library of hard-drive with CS3. I can now launch both versions of InDesign at the same time and work back and forth with no problems.

Not sure if this will work with Intel Macs also; mine is a pre-Intel Mac, running 10.4.11.

Brilliant! I signed up just to say that this works for me on my Mac, an Intel-processor MacBook Pro. I had backed up the Tiger 10.4 + CS2 HD before I clean installed OSX 10.5 and CS3, but didn't reinstall CS2. But now I have a client who only has CS2, and wants me to work in CS2 too.

My installation was slightly different, I didn't bother running the installer, just copied the "Adobe Indesign CS2" folder in Applications from the old HD, and copied the Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/Reqrd folder to the same place, and ran InDesign CS2. Be aware it will ask you for your serial number if you install this way, and probably require you to deactivate on your old installation before it will reactivate ID.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    most of the files can be saved in compatibilty mode or in older cs formats.

indesign - export a .inx file, it should be compatible with cs2

just because eveyone else wants to work in cs2 doesn't mean you have to, as long as they can open your files.