Macbook Pro Docking Station?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If Apple ever releases their updated MBP and I buy one, I'd like to use it as my primary workstation, and as a mobile machine when needed. What is an affordable way to set up a speedy, comfortable "docking station" type of arrangement?

Thanks,

Switchy McSwitcher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwitchyMcSwitcher View Post

If Apple ever releases their updated MBP and I buy one, I'd like to use it as my primary workstation, and as a mobile machine when needed. What is an affordable way to set up a speedy, comfortable "docking station" type of arrangement?

Thanks,

Switchy McSwitcher

What do you need to dock with? If you're looking for a minimum of connections, you can get a monitor that has a USB hub in it and cut down on the unplugging and plugging that way. Other hubs have firewire as well. But what are you docking to (multiple monitors, firewire RAID hard drives, cameras)? That makes a difference in the recommendations.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

What do you need to dock with? If you're looking for a minimum of connections, you can get a monitor that has a USB hub in it and cut down on the unplugging and plugging that way. Other hubs have firewire as well. But what are you docking to (multiple monitors, firewire RAID hard drives, cameras)? That makes a difference in the recommendations.

I was thinking a FW800 drive, USB keyboard and mouse, and two monitors, if possible. I'd like to do video editing (nothing major) on it, so I'd need lots of fast storage.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

I was thinking a FW800 drive, USB keyboard and mouse, and two monitors, if possible. I'd like to do video editing (nothing major) on it, so I'd need lots of fast storage.

Is that two separate monitors aside from the MBP screen, or the MBP screen plus another monitor?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Is that two separate monitors aside from the MBP screen, or the MBP screen plus another monitor?

If possible, I'd like to run the MBP closed, using two external monitors. Is that do-able?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

If possible, I'd like to run the MBP closed, using two external monitors. Is that do-able?

There are multiple solutions I've found for that, all varying in price. The lower end features the Matrox Matrox DualHead2Go Digital Edition sort of solution (around the $200+ range), or something like the Magma Express Boxes (over $1,000 not including video card). Digital Tigers has a solution, too. One thought are the new DisplayLink hubs that are coming out for the Macs. Not great for 3D rendering, but pretty darn good for video editing, etc. They have built in USB and Firewire hubs, usually, too (but don't quote me on that). They usually only go up to 1440 x 1050 (or thereabouts) but I saw one 1680 x 1050 one. Haven't used them yet, but when they roll out, I'm going to look into it. Check out: http://us.kensington.com/html/13875.html No firewire, but USB and mic & speaker plugs.