SMTP Blues: Can't send email

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm two weeks into the mac world and loving it. But, I can only receive and send email when I'm home, using my Road Runner ISP. When I take my MB Pro else where, I can still receive email (wirelessly, of course) but cannot send email.



I have tried ports 25, 465, 587; with out without SSL checked; with and without a password, etc. The CSB's at RoadRunner are clueless and the Geniuses at the local Apple store can't help because they say I have to be conected to Road RUnner for them to help.



Does anyone have any advice or magic solution(s) short of dumping Road Runner? \

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markcamp View Post


    ...



    Does anyone have any advice or magic solution(s) short of dumping Road Runner? \



    As a security measure, it is common for ISP's to block SMTP servers from external domains. Dumping Road Runner will do you no good because most other ISPs have the same issue. That said, messages sent from my account with Road Runner sibling AOL go through. AOL is free for you. Try it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    As a security measure, it is common for ISP's to block SMTP servers from external domains. Dumping Road Runner will do you no good because most other ISPs have the same issue. That said, messages sent from my account with Road Runner sibling AOL go through. AOL is free for you. Try it.





    Thanks, Mr. Me

    OK, please bear with me as this is new territory... If I get a .mac account, will that somehow solve the problem? I haven't quite wrapped my mind around the .mac and IMAP concept yet. Also, my roadrunner email address (@cfl.rr.om) is something I would want to keep for all the entities that use it. In other words, can I somehow maintain the roadrunner identity, but somehow use .mac to work around this problem?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I'd go with a free gmail account. Supports both POP and IMAP protocols, works great with Mail.app

    and is free.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post


    I'd go with a free gmail account. Supports both POP and IMAP protocols, works great with Mail.app

    and is free.



    Cool. I actually have a gmail account. I'm just not understanding how to use it in a way that will maintain my @cfl.rr.com email address. Is that possible? And does .mac fit in to any of this? (I realize these are lame questions - sorry)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markcamp View Post


    Cool. I actually have a gmail account. I'm just not understanding how to use it in a way that will maintain my @cfl.rr.com email address. Is that possible? And does .mac fit in to any of this? (I realize these are lame questions - sorry)



    Some quick high level answers:



    1) .mac, gmail and roadrunner are service providers. In this case all three are providing email service. You can sign up with any or all of them for your email.



    2) IMAO and POP are email protocols. Essentially, with IMAP you leave your email on the servicing server and can access your email from several computers at different locations. With POP you download your email from the servicing server to a client on your local computer. Removing the messages from the server after download.



    3) .mac and gmail offer both IMAP and POP protocols. From what you have reported here roadrunner provides POP email. I have no idea if roadrunner offers IMAP. Check with roadrunner, they might offer IMAP. My ISP offers both, no changes except in my client. I just have to access my email using the IMAP protocol instead of the POP protocol.



    4) When I checked to see if my ISP offered IMAP I asked if I could access it from off network. The answer was yes, I can access my email using IMAP from off network. Again check with roadrunner. (As mentioned above, my ISP locks out off network access for POP.)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post


    Some quick high level answers:



    1) .mac, gmail and roadrunner are service providers. In this case all three are providing email service. You can sign up with any or all of them for your email.



    2) IMAO and POP are email protocols. Essentially, with IMAP you leave your email on the servicing server and can access your email from several computers at different locations. With POP you download your email from the servicing server to a client on your local computer. Removing the messages from the server after download.



    3) .mac and gmail offer both IMAP and POP protocols. From what you have reported here roadrunner provides POP email. I have no idea if roadrunner offers IMAP. Check with roadrunner, they might offer IMAP. My ISP offers both, no changes except in my client. I just have to access my email using the IMAP protocol instead of the POP protocol.



    4) When I checked to see if my ISP offered IMAP I asked if I could access it from off network. The answer was yes, I can access my email using IMAP from off network. Again check with roadrunner. (As mentioned above, my ISP locks out off network access for POP.)







    Thanks for keeping it easy to understand. Your post was very helpful!
Sign In or Register to comment.