Getting iPod from friend - Questions

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've never used, let alone owned an iPod, so excuse me if these questions sound stoopid. A friend of mine is giving me her old iPod (I believe it's 1st gen.). She has quite a few songs on it, some of which I will probably keep, some I will delete. I will also want to add from my PC's iTunes account. She told me that when I connect it to my computer for the first time, my iTunes will want to erase it and start from scratch with my account. Is this true? Is it illeagal for her to give me her iTunes library with the iPod, since she's already paid for it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Your friend has it. Whenever you plug your ipod in any computer other than the one you have been using with the ipod, the computer will ask if you want to erase it or just let it be there no matter you have purchased the songs in the ipod or not.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Your friend has it. Whenever you plug your ipod in any computer other than the one you have been using with the ipod, the computer will ask if you want to erase it or just let it be there no matter you have purchased the songs in the ipod or not.

Thanks Rokken,

When you say "just let it be there", does that mean you can tell iTunes to not wipe out the songs?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

Thanks Rokken,

When you say "just let it be there", does that mean you can tell iTunes to not wipe out the songs?

This is the deal. The songs on your ipod are un-editable, you can't change the file name or anything, everything has to be done through your computer. If you turn the ipod into disk mode, you can "access" the songs, but they do not have the names, just awkward numbers and what not. So basically, you will have to delete her songs.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

This is the deal. The songs on your ipod are un-editable, you can't change the file name or anything, everything has to be done through your computer. If you turn the ipod into disk mode, you can "access" the songs, but they do not have the names, just awkward numbers and what not. So basically, you will have to delete her songs.

So, in otherwords, there is no way to add her iPod's library to my iTunes, or for me to add my iTunes library to her iPod?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

So, in otherwords, there is no way to add her iPod's library to my iTunes, or for me to add my iTunes library to her iPod?

No no, you can add yours to the ipod, but it'll delete whatever she had on the ipod previously.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

...there is no way to add her iPod's library to my iTunes...?

Technically, based on the RIAA and the most recent court rulings, that would be considered piracy, and therefore illegal. This restriction was necessary for Apple to get various labels "on board" with iTunes.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Oh come on, everyone: be helpful.

The utility PodPlus (Windows, $15 for a license, trial version available) is apparently a supped up version of Senuti (Mac OSX only). Use this program to get the songs off of your friend's iPod and onto your computer. Then once you have them on your computer, you can make the choice of which to keep and which to ditch. Once you have done so, just delete all songs on your friend's iPod and synch it with your own library.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Oh come on, everyone: be helpful.

The utility PodPlus (Windows, $15 for a license, trial version available) is apparently a supped up version of Senuti (Mac OSX only). Use this program to get the songs off of your friend's iPod and onto your computer. Then once you have them on your computer, you can make the choice of which to keep and which to ditch. Once you have done so, just delete all songs on your friend's iPod and synch it with your own library.

is it legal though?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

is it legal though?

Is it your place to be the moral police? He's (she? whatever) looking for a solution. If he wants to live on the shadier side of the law, that's his decision.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Is it your place to be the moral police? He's (she? whatever) looking for a solution. If he wants to live on the shadier side of the law, that's his decision.

The bottom line is if a friend sells you an iPod full of music, the iPod is yours, but the music is not. If they want to sell you the music as well, then they'll have to give you all the CDs they ripped the music from or transfer the digital rights legally for something they bought online.

This calls to mind another question. Is this legal?:

1) Buy a CD.

2) Rip it to your PC.

3) Sell the CD.

The answer is no it is not legal. Once you sell the CD, you are required by law to delete any copies you have made or fully transfer them to the person you sold the CD to.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

i said that because by his question, it seems like he wants a legal way of going about things.