SAMBA Question:

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a dedicated OS X 10.1.3 server which is running Windows Files/Print Services (SAMBA). It has ran great (so far).

The other day I discovered an interesting issue, and I can't tell if its a Mac problem, a Windows problem or a SAMBA problem. it might be a SMB/CIFS problem. What do you think:

Here is my situation:

I logged on to the SAMBA server with a Mac OS 9 client and uploaded a .PDF file I created on the Mac. I wanted to send to to my SAMBA server so I could look at the .PDF file on my Win98 PC, and check it for font problems. Anyway, I uploaded the file, and then went to my PC, logged onto the SAMBA sharepoint (which is a mapped network drive) and looked at the .PDF. No problems. Works fine...

BUT: I decided to go back to my Mac and remake the PDF with another font (unrelated problem). I did it, and uploaded the file to the SAMBA server again (with the same filename, thus I replaced the first .PDF) and returned to the PC to look at the file again. I opened the .PDF file again (using Acrobat 4 reader) and the file was still using the same fonts as the first version of the PDF, not the revision I just made. I thought I made a mistake, so looked at the file from a few Macs, and the file was OK (new fonts showed up). I went back to the PC, quit Acrobat, relauched Acrobat, and then the file displayed properly. I reproduced this on a second PC client as well.

My Guess: Something related to SAMBA or SMB doesn't "refresh" server content very often.

What is causing this? I am affraid to deploy the SAMBA server into production now, because perhaps my PC users won't all be looking at the files in "real-time". I need to know my users are looking at files that are "real'"and not ancient history!

What is better: mapping a network sharepoint from SAMBA or going to the Network Neighborhood and mounting the sharepoint from SAMBA?Is this problem a Datagram VS Session issue? I'm not a Windows guru.

Do I need to tell my PC clients to "refresh" server windws every x seconds? Or is this a SAMBA config value that I can tweak to "push" the updated dir info to the clients?

My network is 50 Macs (all OS 9) and 10 PCs (Windows 95 and 98). All my computers are running TCP/IP.

I don't use DAVE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I use Samba on a daily basis, and never experienced anything like that.

Have you been able to reproduce that behaviour, or did it only happen once? In case of the latter, maybe you just happened to forget to close the file first before reopening it?

Bye,

RazzFazz