Time Capsule & PS3 ? Does it work?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
We know Time Capsule works with PC's but obviously we can install software if we need to use one. But does anyone know if we could backup our music, photo's etc on Time Capsule and then it would mount as an external drive on a PS3 which would then be able to see those files or would we still have to turn on our Macs and stream it to the PS3?



Someone might own both on here and have tried it.



Also, does anyone know if it can be used as a regular NAS?



Cheers.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I have a PS3 but no Time Capsule. The PS3 can talk to a UPnP server but not a regular NAS. So no, it shouldn't work.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I have a ps3 and a time capsule, and I was not able to view the network drive portion of time capsule. When i connected the ps3 via wifi it found time capsule no problem, but in fact the UPnP drive came up as absent. If anyone knows a way to make the two toys play nicely please let me know. Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 14
    http://www.nullriver.com/



    The MediaLink plugin they sell (worth the $20) will cause any drive attached to your mac to appear as UPnP and therefore be useable by the PS3. You'd need to have the Mac turned on and the TM disk mounted, but it will then be accessible by the PS3 ...

    I've found, though, that the PS3 is real picky about what mp4/.h264 videos it will play. Handbrake's AppleTV and iPod presets won't play on the PS3, but they have a PS3 preset that does. The PS3, though, seems happy with most .avi (divx) files that the AppleTV won't touch.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I just called playstation and they told me that no apple products were supported by ps3. So my ps3 wont connect well withy my time capsule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE it. i now have no psn access
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yatesey View Post


    I just called playstation and they told me that no apple products were supported by ps3. So my ps3 wont connect well withy my time capsule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE it. i now have no psn access



    If you are referring to the PS3 using the Time Capsule to connect to the internet, then you are wrong, the PS3 will use it in this manner.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    If you are referring to the PS3 using the Time Capsule to connect to the internet, then you are wrong, the PS3 will use it in this manner.



    I just called apple and playstaion, they now say it will work but when i test the connection it cant find an ip address. It worked last night.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yatesey View Post


    I just called apple and playstaion, they now say it will work but when i test the connection it cant find an ip address. It worked last night.



    And other computers will connect to the Time Capsule via wireless ok? Have you changed any settings on the Time Capsule?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    All computers work fine. The only setting i changed was that i lowered the security because the guy at playstation

    said it might help, it didn't.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yatesey View Post


    All computers work fine. The only setting i changed was that i lowered the security because the guy at playstation

    said it might help, it didn't.



    you have 802.11g enabled on the time capsule? And try redoing the wireless connection on the ps3
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    you have 802.11g enabled on the time capsule? And try redoing the wireless connection on the ps3



    its on 802.11a/n-802.11b/g/n. I've redone the connection twice.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    All I can really ell you is that it's not a Time Capsule problem... I've got a PS3 connected to the internet wirelessly through a Time Capsule and things work just fine.

    It's gotta be something you've done in the settings for one or both devices.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    well i hope i can fix it
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yatesey View Post


    its on 802.11a/n-802.11b/g/n. I've redone the connection twice.



    That's what I have my Airport Extreme set as (with WPA2) and both my PS3's connect fine with it
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jmb31jmb31 Posts: 1member
    I had a time trying to connect an old PS3 I got off my brother to my new Snow Leopard software and Time Capsule. I had to format the PS3 back to new conditions. Once I did that I made sure Airport was set up correctly then I went through the auto-detect on the PS3. I typed in my Airport password on the PS3 and that did the trick. I've learned with the Mac's Snow Leopard you have to be patient, restart sometimes and even wait on new drivers (as I had to for my wireless printer which was also brand new and not compatible at that time).



    Keep reading the advice that people are posting that helped me fix my problem.
Sign In or Register to comment.