T-Mobile to sell iPhone in Austria; iLife Support 8.2; Flash on iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Deutsche Telekom's mobile unit T-Mobile said Tuesday it will soon begin offering Apple Inc.'s iPhone to its Austrian customers. Meanwhile, Apple has released a small support update for iLife '08. And rumors of Adobe Flash support for the iPhone are given another go.

iPhone for Austria

Deutsche Telekom's mobile unit T-Mobile will begin selling Apple's iPhone in Austria in the first half of the year, T-Mobile Chief Executive Hamid Akhavan said on Tuesday.

The international wireless carrier already sells the combined cellp phone and Internet communication device in Germany.

Akhavan also said T-Mobile would launch the first Google Android phone in the fourth quarter of the year.

iLife Support 8.2

Alongside the release of Aperture 2.0 today, Apple also issued a 9.7MB iLife Support 8.2 update that supports system software components shared by all iLife ’08 applications to improve their stability and performance.

Flash support for iPhone

Adobe Flash support for the iPhone and the iPod touch may be "just around the corner," according to the latest incarnation of the long-running rumor.

Speculation puts a release around late February, the same time Apple is expected to take the wraps off its official iPhone software developers kit (SDK), which will allow third parties to author authorized software add-ons for the two touchscreen-based handhelds.

The absence of Flash can at times stifle the iPhone experience, making it impossible to browse websites of restaurants and other businesses who've comprised their Web presence solely around the rich media technology.

For it's part, Apple has neither confirmed nor denied plans to support Flash on its handhelds, with a lone comment from chief executive Steve Jobs last January indicating that users "might see" the technology arrive sometime down the road.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    The iLife Support is only 2.7MB for me o.O
  • Reply 2 of 23
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Dratz- I was hoping for flash for the camera.\
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dratz- I was hoping for flash for the camera.\

• Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Flash support for iPhone

Adobe Flash support for the iPhone and the iPod touch may be "just around the corner," according to the latest incarnation of the long-running rumor.

Shoot, just ordered my touch when 32 GB released. Guess I'll have to pay $20 for an upgrade....
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

Shoot, just ordered my touch when 32 GB released. Guess I'll have to pay $20 for an upgrade....

Who says they'll be charging this time round?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Suuure! right around the corner eh? Just like Apple TV's upgrade, isn't today the fourth week?

Flash support yay, now I'll be able to watch all those annoying Flash ads.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

Why? It is included. In fact it it included with all new iPod Touches sold today.

As purported by Freelander51 you were referring to Flash. My apologies.

But a question. When has Apple ever charged for Flash support?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Why? It is included. In fact it it included with all new iPod Touches sold today.

Suggest you apologize and retract your post.

He meant FLASH. And to whom shall he apologize please ? SJ ?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I think I may have posted my Aperture 2 comment in the wrong thread, so.... it's horribly sluggish. The original Aperture was a dream compared to this. Just working on 1 test image took me at least twice as long as similar adjustments in Photoshop. I'm sticking with Photoshop... Sorry, Steve.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Why add flash support, Jobs said it was dead.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Why add flash support, Jobs said it was dead.

Jobs said "maybe" or "we might see that" for Adobe Flash. It was Java that he said was dead to him. Still, Flash might be difficult for a touch UI as I'm sure 99% of them are designed for mouse/trackpad pointing devices.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Gee, battery life is going to be great when we start having to load flash ads to see webpages.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    my ilife update was 14.3 mb
  • Reply 14 of 23
    I really don't care to see flash support. The interface would be clunky, I would have flashing ads all over, and it would slow down and drain my Touches battery.

Flash is just horrible, the only redeeming thing about it is now in Flash 9 they have H.264 support and lots of people have it.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I hope the flash turns out to be true, if for no other reason than to prove Gruber wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I agree flash within the mobile safari browser would be horrible. I don't think this is going to happen.

What I do miss is flash video. It would be nice if there was a flash client that we had the option to open and watch flash video. The same way as with QuickTime movies.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    Would it be so hard to support Flash and an Ad Blocker that hid the ads you don't want to see? My Adblock Plus works well and if it disrupts something I want to see, it's easy to disable for that page or server.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Why is there no word at all about iPhone roll out in the Netherlands??? What's going on?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

I really don't care to see flash support. The interface would be clunky, I would have flashing ads all over, and it would slow down and drain my Touches battery.

Flash is just horrible, the only redeeming thing about it is now in Flash 9 they have H.264 support and lots of people have it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree flash within the mobile safari browser would be horrible. I don't think this is going to happen.

What I do miss is flash video. It would be nice if there was a flash client that we had the option to open and watch flash video. The same way as with QuickTime movies.

it would be nice to have the option.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

Why is there no word at all about iPhone roll out in the Netherlands??? What's going on?

the netherlands? what about Canada? lol