Hard Drive Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been having some issues with my MBP. It has been extremely sluggish (open a finder window, click on applications, and I have to wait 20 or so seconds for any icons to appear is one example). So I did an archive and install a few weeks ago, and seem to right back where I started. I tried to to verify and repair the disk and keep getting the message "File System Verify or Repair Failed" when I verify the volume is disk utility. That sounds bad.

So I have a plan, and would love feedback:

1. run time machine to have a complete back-up

2. use my OSX disk to erase the entire disk and reinstall OS X

3. plug in my time machine disk and run migration assitant (I understand that should happen automatically)

Just want to make sure that sounds like the way to go and will work.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    If you are to try the process again, your plan looks fine, but if the drive is suspect, a good way is to write zeros to the drive. Apple disk utility calls this secure delete under the "options" button in the erase panel of the DU. Pick the root drive on the left, click options, select single pass, this will map out any bad sectors. If the process hangs or is unable to finish, then it's the drive. If you experience system hangs or crashes now, it can most likely be the drive. You can also so a full surface scan with most of the commercial utilities like tech tool or drive genius. If you have applecare, you have a disc to boot from and do this. pop that in, hold c at boot, and run the full hard drive scan.