I'm new to the Mac World, but I'm a little stuck on a few things. Help please!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I finally have my Mac Pro, and this is the first time I've been on a Mac for 10 or so years! As you can imagine, a LOT has changed since then, lol. Getting to the point, there's a few things I'm not sure on how to do. I think they're possible, as I did them on a Windows computer.

Anyway, here are my problems so far.

- How do I edit my music information, such as MP3s? I know in the past all I had to do was right click the song, edit Properties, Advance, and voila, I could edit the information, such as Title, Track Number, etc. Now, when I do that on a Mac (Get more info), I see the information, but I don't know how to edit it. How do I edit the information?

- When I have multiple folders, they only seem to fill 3 columns before going to the next row. I somehow managed to get more my expanding the window and clicking Clean Up. Is there anyway to do this as a default for the entire Mac OS X?

- When I run Adium, half of my contacts appear as Friends/school, the other half as individuals. Is there anyway to just have the one section? (Friends). I'd like to order them alphabetically as well if possible. Finally, some of my contacts are missing. I had them on MSN Windows Live!, but not here. Why?

- How do I stop Quicktime from opening my MIDI files up? For now, iTunes would be better.

- I'm guessing all my Programs go in the Applications Folder, while all my music/documents are supposed to go into the Library?

- In Windows, pressing the Home/End key would move the text cursor to the end of the line. when I press it on a Mac, nothing occurs (except sometimes moving the entire window down). Is there anyway to add these features?

- Is there anyway to get Folders to always appear before Files?

- How do I give a folder Album Art? Or heck, songs as well?

- There was a "Go Up" button when in folders for Windows. Like, if I was looking at Music/Movie Soundtracks/Amelie, and pressed this button, it would go to the Music/Movie Soundtracks folder. Is there such a key/button for Mac?

- Finally, I will likely need to have a Windows Partition on this computer, as I want to play games on the Mac, etc. Anyway, just checking in advance - I put in the Windows XP Disk, and it'll ask me to add a Windows Partition to the Hard Drive, right? It's possible to do this anytime, right? And when I DO load Windows, can I do anything with files on the Mac Partition? Vice versa with Mac I suppose.

I think that's enough questions for now, lol. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

Hi, I finally have my Mac Pro, and this is the first time I've been on a Mac for 10 or so years! As you can imagine, a LOT has changed since then, lol. Getting to the point, there's a few things I'm not sure on how to do. I think they're possible, as I did them on a Windows computer.

Anyway, here are my problems so far.

- How do I edit my music information, such as MP3s? I know in the past all I had to do was right click the song, edit Properties, Advance, and voila, I could edit the information, such as Title, Track Number, etc. Now, when I do that on a Mac (Get more info), I see the information, but I don't know how to edit it. How do I edit the information?

From within iTunes, Apple-I (or rather cmd-I on the new keyboards) will get info.

Quote:

- When I have multiple folders, they only seem to fill 3 columns before going to the next row. I somehow managed to get more my expanding the window and clicking Clean Up. Is there anyway to do this as a default for the entire Mac OS X?

cmd-J > Arrange by > Name. You can also adjust the icon and grid size to tighten-up the spacing.

Quote:

- When I run Adium, half of my contacts appear as Friends/school, the other half as individuals. Is there anyway to just have the one section? (Friends). I'd like to order them alphabetically as well if possible. Finally, some of my contacts are missing. I had them on MSN Windows Live!, but not here. Why?

Quote:

- How do I stop Quicktime from opening my MIDI files up? For now, iTunes would be better.

Click on a MIDI file in the Finder > cmd-I > Open With > find & select iTunes > then click the Change All button. From now on, every file with the same extension will open in iTunes.

Quote:

- I'm guessing all my Programs go in the Applications Folder, while all my music/documents are supposed to go into the Library?

Documents go in Users > Yourname > Documents.

Music goes in Users > Yourname > Music.

Quote:

- In Windows, pressing the Home/End key would move the text cursor to the end of the line. when I press it on a Mac, nothing occurs (except sometimes moving the entire window down). Is there anyway to add these features?

Quote:

- Is there anyway to get Folders to always appear before Files?

cmd-2 from within Finder, then click on the little arrow next to the respective folder icon.

Quote:

- How do I give a folder Album Art? Or heck, songs as well?

You can cmd-I > click on the icon > and paste in artwork; or you can press cmd-J > tick Show Icon Preview.

Quote:

- There was a "Go Up" button when in folders for Windows. Like, if I was looking at Music/Movie Soundtracks/Amelie, and pressed this button, it would go to the Music/Movie Soundtracks folder. Is there such a key/button for Mac?

cmd-[

Quote:

- Finally, I will likely need to have a Windows Partition on this computer, as I want to play games on the Mac, etc. Anyway, just checking in advance - I put in the Windows XP Disk, and it'll ask me to add a Windows Partition to the Hard Drive, right? It's possible to do this anytime, right? And when I DO load Windows, can I do anything with files on the Mac Partition? Vice versa with Mac I suppose.

I think that's enough questions for now, lol. Thanks in advance.

Hopefully somebody will be along soon to answer your other questions or clarify mine...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thank you very much for your reply though! I greatly appreciate it!

I used Help, but couldn't find my answers, so that's why I'm asking here. Thanks again!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Nova, going to your last question about paritioning for windows. If your are running OSX Leopard, which I assume you are since you just got a new Mac Pro (congrats BTW). Just go to the spotlight and type in Boot Camp, click the result, and just follow the steps. That should be a cleaner process than partitioning it through the Windows cd. Once you set up Boot Camp yes you can browse files while in OSX on the windows partition, and I believe from the windows partition, view files on the OSX partition.

Heres a video showing what its like

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bXqjNzwYNuU

Enjoy your new Mac XD.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks! I also figured out, that when I put the Album Artist as the Album name itself, it arranges the files correctly.

I think I'm fully ready. I have one last question. Logic Studio, it comes with lot's of good instruments, right? GarageBand with the Jam Packs, while many instruments are nice (Orchestra FTW), I believe it's still lacking in a few things, such as a GOOD drum kit(s) and Lead Guitar (I am missing the Rhythm Jam Pack, but meh). I do not consider loops instruments. It's just, that's the main reason I want to purchase Logic, apart from a few other elements. I am hoping of becoming a music composer, so this is a good buy, right?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I know very little about Logic Studio being a good music composition suite. For sure Garageband is not the way to go, its so bad for music composition. But if your looking into good programs, look into Reason. Ive used it on a number of occasions, and it is a hefty program, that can do A LOT of things for you. But back to your question, I would say its a good buy on the stand point that its a powerful audio program, ask your proffesor about audio programs such as Logic Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    1st ?

As far as MP3s, get Media Rage, from Chaos SW, there is a Contextual Menu Item, the read me will tell you where to put it.

2nd?

Don't know what you mean...

3rd?

Haven't gotten into Adium contact managment

4th?

You could get info and select iTunes as the default app to open it with, and then select change all.

5th?

Documents go in your document folder in your user folder or on your desktop, or anywhere you damn well please. :P

6th?

Use the Up Arrow to goto the front, down arrow to goto the end of a text line

7th?

Don't know what you mean...

8th?

I don't know really thats tough since 10.5, but there is always get info select icon and paste.

9th?

Click on the folder name in the window with the Apple key down.

10th?

If you use Boot Camp it will let you partition and change the size of the drive, you should kinda do it early if you are going to do it.

Laters...