MacBook Pro 1 or 2?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone.. I just need some advice.

I am interested in the macbook pro and noticed 3 models. I am interested in one of the 1st two here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ly/macbook_pro

So I'm wondering.. is the 2nd model WORTH the extra $600 bucks for 40GB HD, 0.2GHZ processor, and another 128MB added on the gfx card??

I was thinking it might be a better idea to buy the 1st model.. and buy some more ram eg. 4GB and an external HD.. from a local PC store and that would save me more money.. less than $600 for sure...?

anyone else got any input.

PS: I need this laptop for FinalCut Pro usage..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harryt223 View Post

Hey everyone.. I just need some advice.

I am interested in the macbook pro and noticed 3 models. I am interested in one of the 1st two here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ly/macbook_pro

So I'm wondering.. is the 2nd model WORTH the extra $600 bucks for 40GB HD, 0.2GHZ processor, and another 128MB added on the gfx card??

I was thinking it might be a better idea to buy the 1st model.. and buy some more ram eg. 4GB and an external HD.. from a local PC store and that would save me more money.. less than $600 for sure...?

anyone else got any input.

PS: I need this laptop for FinalCut Pro usage..

Wait one week from tomorrow.

Then decide.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Wait one week from tomorrow.

Then decide.

why wait another week? what's going to happen in 1 week?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    New MacBook Pros are expected Any Day Now ™
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

why wait another week? what's going to happen in 1 week?

You may get to decide today.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You may get to decide today.

Nope, today's update was a reduction in price of the iPod shuffle.

Apple are teasing us! Did they really need to take down the Apple Store to do that?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    hmm so the new macbook pro's are already made? it's just a matter of releasing them?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

hmm so the new macbook pro's are already made? it's just a matter of releasing them?

Supply of the current MBPs is low in the retail channel. Some Best Buys are out of them. This is almost always the sign of an imminent update.

I thought it was going to happen today when I saw that the Apple store was down. Should be happening soon though.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    hmmm I might wait till the end of Feb maybe then.. I'd like to get it asap though...

So if the new MBP's are coming out, what happens to the older ones?

price drop?

and what's the difference in the newer MBP's that are supposed to be coming out?

and will they be the same price as the current MBP's?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

hmmm I might wait till the end of Feb maybe then.. I'd like to get it asap though...

So if the new MBP's are coming out, what happens to the older ones?

price drop?

and what's the difference in the newer MBP's that are supposed to be coming out?

and will they be the same price as the current MBP's?

The old Macs disappear. They are no longer sold as new. You can buy refubs however.

The new macs are going to be powered by the recently released Penryn Core 2 duo cpus. These are fabed at 45 nm and offer better performance and better battery life. The performance increase is between 5 -40% depending on the task. the new MBPs are likely to the same price as the old just with the new cpus and perhaps improved graphics card, bigger HDD or more RAM standard.

Since you plan on using your new mac to edit video on FCP you may want to wait and get the latest and greatest. I don't use FCP myself but understand that requires a beefy machine to run well. The more power the better.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    thanks for the input. and yeah FCP is a processor hog.. I'm also going to be using it for design eg. Photoshope, flash etc.. So I suppose the better gfx card I have.. the better performance. I guess I'll give it a wait for a bit.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

thanks for the input. and yeah FCP is a processor hog.. I'm also going to be using it for design eg. Photoshope, flash etc.. So I suppose the better gfx card I have.. the better performance. I guess I'll give it a wait for a bit.

If you can't wait I'd get a refurb MBP. They're pretty good deals.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I think I should be able to manage it.. right now I'm using the schools mac lab.. but it's just a hassle spending late nights there and early mornings, where as I could be doing it all at home.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Definitely wait for the updated Penryn-based MBP. It'll take a while for optimisations to appear, but the new SSE4 instructions will be a real boon for the types of tasks you want to perform. A Penryn MBP will be much more future-proof.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Definitely wait for the updated Penryn-based MBP. It'll take a while for optimisations to appear, but the new SSE4 instructions will be a real boon for the types of tasks you want to perform. A Penryn MBP will be much more future-proof.

Well hopefully it's out around the 1st week of march....

There is a guy, who's claiming to sell this 17inch MBP for $600 CDN.. it looks pretty new too.. I just don't know why he's selling it? stolen?? or something is wrecked? I thought for $600 for the time being isn't a bad deal.. IF there is nothing wrong with it..