Help Upgrading HD and Installing Panther in a G3 iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need some assistance in upgrading the hard drive and installing Mac OS X 10.3 on a iMac G3 (400 MHz).

I have replaced the existing 10 GB hard drive with a 30 GB Maxtor drive. When I try to install Panther on the drive, I get the following error message:

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume."

This drive was originally in a XP box. After I moved it to my iMac, I verified it worked via firewire target disk mode with my MacBook (I formatted the drive via disk utility on my MacBook -- no problems).

Like I said, when I boot the iMac from the Panther CD, it stops me each and everytime, with the above error message. I still can't get around it. I found a reference to this message on Apple's support site:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303220

I tried reformatting the drive different ways along with creating two partitions (one 6 GB and one 24 GB) without success.

Anybody have any other suggestions??

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Make sure the drive is formatted in Apple Partition Map. You may have formatted the partition to HFS, but didn't convert it fully from MBR - Master Boot Record. Also, check the drive to see what the jumper pins are set to: the master/slave/cable select settings....

I don't remember if Panther installed on those system... It should.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

Make sure the drive is formatted in Apple Partition Map. You may have formatted the partition to HFS, but didn't convert it fully from MBR - Master Boot Record. Also, check the drive to see what the jumper pins are set to: the master/slave/cable select settings....

I don't remember if Panther installed on those system... It should.

How can I change the partition map if formatting doesn't do it?

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

How can I change the partition map if formatting doesn't do it?

Dave

Click the root device on the left, which would be the 30GB HDD. Then, click on the PARTITION tab in the DU window. From the OPTIONS button, I think, or from the dropdown menu, make sure you select Apple Partition Map.