List of best programs for MacBook

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Greetings all,

I am about to purchase my first mac ever (black macbook) and while i've extensively done my research on the hardware specs, i'm not that familiar with the types of programs to use for certain things. With that being said, i was wondering if you well-informed bunch would be able to steer me in the direction of the best programs in the following fields.

Thanks in advance for your help.

*Best Bit torrent client (i had Bit comet on my PC and was pretty good)

*Best music-listening program (had Winamp)

*Best Chat client (had trillian)

*Best program to transfer music to ipod (also just got my first ipod ever and hate iTunes -- i had a Creative ZEN and am a big fan of the 'Drag-and-Drop' method

*Best web browser (Firefox or safari?)

Thats all i can think of right now. Again, if anybody can give me a heads up, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    * Transmission. Simple & does the job

* iTunes

* adium, skype, ichat

* iTunes

* Try both, stick with the one you like best, oh, and take a look at camino as well
  • Reply 2 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Agree with dutch.

Give iTunes more time. I think you'll like it once you use it more.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    if you hate itunes, you're gonna hate leopard!!! the entire thing is based on tunes!!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    alternate apps :

* Azureus

* aTunes

* Yahoo Messenger or Messenger for mac

* floola

*Camino or shiira
  • Reply 5 of 8
    as a switcher myself, i had many of the same favorite programs as listed above(winamp, trillion, etc). however with a mac, they give you pretty much everything you need. but being stubborn and a PC user (backwards-thinking) i thought.. oh those programs cannot be any good. WRONG. their fantastic, and it took me a very long time to come full circle.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Not sure what you mean by the 'drag and drop' method specifically but if you're saying you don't like auto sync in iTunes it is easily turned off and for me personally, I add all of my music by dragging it from my Library to my iPod on the sidebar of iTunes. That kinda seems like 'drag and drop' to me.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    If you want to drag and drop music, you can also use MacFUSE and itunesfs to mount the iPod filesystem. I would just use iTunes which seems alien on the PC, but works pretty similarly to the Mac OS finder except for the occasional interface inconsistency.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Congrats on the switch.

I don't have recommendations for specific apps, but would point you to:

http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/

which is an ad free listing of 19,000 native OS X apps. Everything from freeware to full commercial packages. You can spend a lot of time digging through, but there are some gems there and it's fun trying various apps, utilities, etc.

Hope you enjoy your Mac as much as I have enjoyed mine!