Aluminum iMac Superdrive scratching issue

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello.

After using my Superdrive (20" iMac. 2GHz) for quite some time I finally recognized some scratches on some of my media (DVD-R, CD, DVD).

I seem to only get them, when I remove the media after ejecting without much care, meaning I don't always remove it parallel to the drive until the media is out.

The scratches are parallel, about 1 cm long and can amount up to seven.

Has anyone else encountered this little annoying feature?

And where could they come from?

PS: I'm now removing or inserting any media with much more care. It's doable, but if I burn a lot (session wise) it#s quite a pain in the arse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Hello.

After using my Superdrive (20" iMac. 2GHz) for quite some time I finally recognized some scratches on some of my media (DVD-R, CD, DVD).

I seem to only get them, when I remove the media after ejecting without much care, meaning I don't always remove it parallel to the drive until the media is out.

The scratches are parallel, about 1 cm long and can amount up to seven.

Has anyone else encountered this little annoying feature?

And where could they come from?

PS: I'm now removing or inserting any media with much more care. It's doable, but if I burn a lot (session wise) it#s quite a pain in the arse.

Yes, I have encountered this "feature." The only answer is to remove the discs strait out. If you don't then they will scratch on the aluminum enclosure.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    fixmdudefixmdude Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimDeRosa View Post

Yes, I have encountered this "feature." The only answer is to remove the discs strait out. If you don't then they will scratch on the aluminum enclosure.

And put them in straight too. Since you can't really see the slot when sitting directly in front of the computer, you might be feeling for the slot with the disk. If you feel the slot with the side of the disk as it goes in, then the metal edge of the case can 'feel' back, (and it plays rough).