Low Quality Videos?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

Okay this has bugged me for a long time. When I download things from the iTunes store, (A movie, A few TV shows, and a music video) I get really low quality low resolution videos. I thought maybe it was just "that download" or even my sisters MacBook. But now, there doing the same thing on my iMac. I thought the iTunes store advertises high quality videos. Why are the ones I got a few months ago really lame quality?

Thanks,

Brandon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    In a nutshell: So they can fit on the iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Well thats disappointing.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Well they shouldn't be that bad. If they're 4:3 format they're 640x480, whereas DVD is 720x480. I think the problem comes in when they're in a wider-screen format; the max width is 640, so as they get wider, the width stays at 640 and the height starts to decrease. 640x340, for example, is noticeably worse than DVD, which may be what you're seeing?

I think they're getting better about this, and are now using anamorphic for the rentals, so the height is staying at 480 regardless of how wide it is. Hopefully they'll start doing this with all of their videos, and not just the rentals.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Check out this article for more info.