Fickle ACD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 23" aluminum ACD hooked up to a MB that has been acting up lately. The only way that I can get the screen to work after even sleeping is to unplug the monitor for a bit, wait for the screen to be detected, and finally plug in the FW and USB. If the screen isn't working, the FW and USB still work and the computer detects it because the MB becomes the second desktop. Any ideas on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Can you use the Display panel in system Preferneces to detect displays? Once in a while I will plug something in or wake up the system and it doesn't pick up right away. Detect displays usually picks it right up.

Also, check the sleep display & screensaver settings. Try turning off sleep display and just run a screensaver or have it go to black.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    If I try to detect displays, nothing happens. It detects the screen and thinks the screen is already on, so nothing happens. One thing I discovered last night is that I can put the screen to sleep, but it will wake up a few seconds later detecting my FW drive and my USB mouse/keyboard. If I unplug things from the hub and put the screen to sleep, it comes back on in the morning.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    This will sound really dumb, but did you ensure the monitor is turned on? I just dealt with someone at work who had the same problem, and it was just the monitor being turned off. Even when off, the computer will detect it, and extend the desktop to match.