My new Mac Pro coming - Need your advice please!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all.

Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered a new 2.8 GB 8-core Mac Pro. I'm stoked, of course, but I have a technical question in the order of "Which (should come) came first, the chicken or the egg"?

Here's my scenario: I ordered the Mac Pro with the stock (slow) 320 GB Hard Drive. I have also ordered - after much deliberation and opinion-gathering regarding Seagates (which I've always used in the past and Western Digital (which I've never used) - two Western Digital RE2 750 GB hard drives. Now, my thinking is, I want to prep my 160 GB boot drive from my G5 2.0GH dualie (running 10.5.2) by performing all schedule maintenance with OnyX, repair permissions, etc. Then I intend to use Carbon Copy Cloner to do a complete backup to my other internal 160 GB I'll call "160 GB BU".

Now my goal is to install the two 750 GB hard drives in the Mac Pro. Then remove the 160 GB BU hard drive from the G5 and put it into the Mac Pro temporarily, filling all bays. I would then first use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a complete backup from the 320 GB drive that Apple has installed and copy it over to one of the the 750 GB drives to use as my new boot drive.

Now, here's my question. I want to use Migration Assistant to merge my current data on the to-be-backed-up 160 GB BU drive from my G5 onto my boot drive. Should I first, a) use Migration Asst. to update the 320 GB drive then CCC to copy the merged contents to the clean, new 750 GB new boot drive on the Mac Pro or, b) use CCC to copy the 320 GB contents to the clean, new 750 GB new boot drive THEN use Migration Asst. to merge the contents of the 160 GB BU drive to the 750 GB new boot drive? Is there a preferred sequence I should follow or is either path equally appropriate? Or, is there a better way you know of?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

SNazz123

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    a).

The Migration Assistant stuff works best if you perform it during initial setup. If you boot your new Mac Pro, it is going to ask you for a short user name, and make a Home folder. This isn't good if you want to migrate an existing Home folder over.

1. Boot the new machine - it will go into Setup Assistant.

2. Run MA when the setup assistant requests it

3. Hours later, when it is done, clone your 320 to the 750.

This way you avoid having a Home folder already there when you try and run MA. I learned this the hard way twice.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

a).

The Migration Assistant stuff works best if you perform it during initial setup. If you boot your new Mac Pro, it is going to ask you for a short user name, and make a Home folder. This isn't good if you want to migrate an existing Home folder over.

1. Boot the new machine - it will go into Setup Assistant.

2. Run MA when the setup assistant requests it

3. Hours later, when it is done, clone your 320 to the 750.

This way you avoid having a Home folder already there when you try and run MA. I learned this the hard way twice.

Brilliant Johnny! Simple but it avoids a major potential problem as you say. While I would love to just do a clean install, I've got gobs of shareware and freeware and a fair number of commercial apps that I've accumulated over the years. Migration Assistant is the only way for me to pull this off. It is really important that I do this correctly. And, based on what you've told me, and as I suspected, there is a right way and a wrong way. Thanks for the guidance here!

Regards,

SNazz123