MBP - HD 1900x1200 or 1680x1050

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After using Windows computers for 20+ years I'm using a new MBP 17" with the HD 1900x1200 screen for about a week now. Great laptop!

However, I find the small text can be a bit straining on my eyes. I have increased some of the system fonts with a free utility - TinkerTool. That helps, but still some application help files come in what seems to be about 4 point (or less) fonts. For instance Filemaker's Scriptmaker - boy is that font small.

Thus, I am thinking of exhanging this laptop for one with the 1680x1050 screen. However, before I did that if that is a major mistake for reasons I don't know yet. For instance, is there some software that really exploits the 1900x1200??

I noticed in a tutorial for iMovie that it recommended when importing footage NOT to use the 1900x1200 mode as it takes upwards of 4x the disk space, but rather the "Large 960x540" mode.

Any thoughts?

Don

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    cmd +

[try it]
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

cmd +

[try it]

Yes I use CMD + all the time with Safari or Firefox. It helps, but doesn't work with other apps.

Don
  • Reply 3 of 5
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonCat View Post

Yes I use CMD + all the time with Safari or Firefox. It helps, but doesn't work with other apps.

Don

Try this. It won't work with everything, but may give you an idea why the HD version is better. Grab the devtools (should have come with your MBP). Look for Quartz Debug and turn on Res Independance and then change the DPI to 1.25. Then reboot. Try it
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Try this. It won't work with everything, but may give you an idea why the HD version is better. Grab the devtools (should have come with your MBP). Look for Quartz Debug and turn on Res Independance and then change the DPI to 1.25. Then reboot. Try it

I couldn't find devtools or Quartz Debug on my hard drive or the Web including Apple's site. I would love to try this though. Any idea of where I can download it?

Thanks - Don
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I found the Developers Tools on the 1st install disk and have tried Quartz Debug. It does help a lot in some applications, but not Microsoft Office 2008 that well. On that the text is fuzzy.

Without Quartz I would say the text is often too small.