FTP upload .dmg turning into .app ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

My work uses Novell Groupwise for email. Until now mainly on PCs. I'm trying to use my iMac to place the Groupwise.dmg Mac version of the client program onto our FTP server for other iMacs to download. Even though our FTP server is Windows, in the past I have been able to upload Mac files to it using a Mac, and files then retain their Mac format and can be downloaded from other Macs and still work.

I downloaded the Groupwise.dmg file from Novell.com as is a single icon. But, when I try to upload it to the FTP server, the FTP program creates a folder called Groupwise.app and then creates all of the subfolders and subfiles on the server, in essence decompressing the program into all of its separate files instead of keeping it as a single file for easy downloading.

Is the FTP program decompressing it during the upload? Or did the iMac already decompress it when I downloaded it from Novell so that I'm not looking at a single .dmg file on my desktop anymore? How can I download a .dmg file without the iMac decompressing it automatically? Or, how can I upload it without the FTP program decompressing it in the process, which ever way it's happening? (I'm using Leopard and I tried 2 different free ftp clients.)

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I just discovered that I can right-click on the icon on my desktop < compress, and Leopard creates a single .zip file which I can then upload. A .zip file is not as 'Mac' looking as a .dmg file, but I guess I'll use that until I hear of another way. Still curious if someone has an explanation to clear up how it's supposed to work.

Thanks.