Windows user joins the Dark Side!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been wanting to make the switch since before the move to Intel, but every time I was ready to make the jump new hardware speculation/announcements kept me waiting. Waited for the new MacBook Pro's but finally gave in and got me a shiny new 24" iMac. Could not be more happier with my decision. OS X Leopard kicks so much ass it's not even funny. I'm upgrading from my 6 year old Sony VAIO desktop with Windows XP Home and 1.5 GHz Pentium 4, lol.

I've been getting accustomed with OS X for the last two days trying get my settings and preferences just right. Anyone got tips for a new Mac user? Looking to upgrade my RAM in the near future with two 2 GB sticks... any recommendations on brand for quality?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Use RAM from Crucial.com. You'll get a good price and stellar quality.

For the price max out your RAM. It is worth it!

As far as the OS goes, it sounds like you are already doing great. Normally I tell people to look at it as an adventure and a chance to actually enjoy turning your computer on rather than approach it was an expectation of frustration and that is enough to change the whole experience.

And this from a seasoned Windows technician: when you are trying to think of how to do something on the Macintosh and can't quite figure it out, stop and think about some of the most stupid-simple solutions you can come up with and the right answer will probably be one of them.

I was trying to figure out with some other techs for the longest time how to automatically mount network volumes on Macintosh and we were always encountering trouble. We were doing things like creating automator scrips to auto-execute command line prompts to mount the device and were still encountering problems. It wasn't until later that I figured out all you have to do is mount the drive, store the password in the keychain, and add the drive itself to your startup items. Stupid simple. I bet Linux guys struggle with this stuff even more.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I don't see where OS X kicks any ass. I have a MBP with Vista Ultimate on it and I prefer it over OS X. OS X does runs a little faster and is better at detecting and installing devices but that's about it. I rarely use OS X. I did take the time to learn it and I do like iPhoto but that's about it. IE7 is definitely better than Safari. Outlook is better than the Mac Mail Clinet. iTunes runs on either OS. I have one security suite that takes care of any viruses in Vista. I see that Apple comes out with updates just like Microsoft does. I can't help wondering if you would have purchased an Alien Area 51 system what you would think then.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianB13 View Post

I don't see where OS X kicks any ass. I have a MBP with Vista Ultimate on it and I prefer it over OS X. OS X does runs a little faster and is better at detecting and installing devices but that's about it. I rarely use OS X. I did take the time to learn it and I do like iPhoto but that's about it. IE7 is definitely better than Safari. Outlook is better than the Mac Mail Clinet. iTunes runs on either OS. I have one security suite that takes care of any viruses in Vista. I see that Apple comes out with updates just like Microsoft does. I can't help wondering if you would have purchased an Alien Area 51 system what you would think then.

And why, exactly are you posting on an exclusively Apple-centric board? AAPL stock owner, or just a PC troll?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    OWC has great Ram as well.

www.macsales.com
  • Reply 5 of 15
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Welcome aboard!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And why, exactly are you posting on an exclusively Apple-centric board? AAPL stock owner, or just a PC troll?

Freedom of speech matey, although the poster forgot to mention that Vista still relies on the flakey System registry...the data gets hopelessly de-fragmented and slows down the whole PC, has highly dubious security features and any suggestion of the least compliant web-browser released on the big wide world is better overall than the standards compliant Safari is proof of a profound ignorance.

Vista is okay, I use it... But it is not a patch on OSX for sheer user-friendliness. There is still far too much in your face user intervention required with Vista and it can't even cope with one install to simultaneously handle 32 and 64-bit apps. Backwards or what?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    You said it correctly: Apple Centric - Not Mac OS centric. As you know, Macs can run multiple operating systems now. If they didn't, I wouldn't have purchased one. I have several friends that have Macs and they persuaded me to buy one so I did. I have to use Windows for work. I have used PCs ever since IBM brought them out. My friends have been showing me the "trick" stuff on the Mac OS and it is pretty cool.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Freedom of speech matey, although the poster forgot to mention that Vista still relies on the flakey System registry...the data gets hopelessly de-fragmented and slows down the whole PC, has highly dubious security features and any suggestion of the least compliant web-browser released on the big wide world is better overall than the standards compliant Safari is proof of a profound ignorance.

Vista is okay, I use it... But it is not a patch on OSX for sheer user-friendliness. There is still far too much in your face user intervention required with Vista and it can't even cope with one install to simultaneously handle 32 and 64-bit apps. Backwards or what?

I was just voicing an opinion. I have no complaints with my MBP. I'm betting that Apple makes a better product that Dell and the rest of the PC makers. Since I have been on PCs forever, I have registry software that keeps the registry repaired and I defrag the disk once a month. I'm still learning Mac OS X so maybe I will like it more as I use it. Most of my friends swear by it.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    That's funny, because I always preferred Mail over Outlook any day of the week. Outlook takes much longer to load and it is nowhere near as user friendly as Mail.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

I was just voicing an opinion.

As is your right.

Quote:

Since I have been on PCs forever, I have registry software that keeps the registry repaired and I defrag the disk once a month....

Precisely why Vista is such a bad OS. Even MS tried to rid themselves (unsuccessfully) of the Registry. It's antiquated and prone to corruption. It's built like Jack-Straws. And why should you need to de-fragment your disk every month anyway? OSX doesn't need de-fragmenting ever. In fact, it works best if you don't de-fragment the file system.

MS operating systems need so much user maintenance: for the Registry, for fragmentation, for Security, Virii, Malware, Spyware, etc.... The bewildering plethora of mostly ineffectual or overly complex utilities MS operating systems require usually bring their own buggy problems (and cost) to the table and can compromise the very system they are intended to protect.

For Mac OSX I bought DiskWarrior three years ago and have required its services once.

IE 7 is simply horrible... it's embedded into the OS like some gruesome malignant tumour. Rip it out of the OS and some web-sites wont even display unless you are running IE. How crooked is that?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Not really "crooked" per se, but shows how frakin lazy some website people are.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I'm an old time PC guy who just recently started the switch over to Apple in my personal life. I'm the Manager of Information Technology for a very large company here in NYC. We pretty much run all windows, except one VP who insisted on haveing a mac. I'm very unhappy with Vista, I ordered a new Dell with Vista business about a year ago and I hate it, hate it! I wanted to test it before potentally moving our business to Vista. I can tell you that I will NEVER migrate to Vista. Now when I order new PC or Laptops, I still get XP and I will continue to do that until the end of time or a new Windows operating system that actually works.

Now in my personal life, I was also a windows guy. I own several laptops and desktops all windows. Then the iPhone came out and I had to have it. At first I looked at it like any other phone but with great apps. I have come to love it and can not live with out it. I then bought a Mac Book, just a few weeks before the MacAir came out. At first was a bit upset, thought I wanted the Air but now have decided to keep the Macbook. So I replaced my laptop.

Now I'm going to be buy a Mac Pro to replace my desktop and my journey will be complete. I'm really looking foward to it.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

As far as the OS goes, it sounds like you are already doing great. Normally I tell people to look at it as an adventure and a chance to actually enjoy turning your computer on rather than approach it was an expectation of frustration and that is enough to change the whole experience.

And this from a seasoned Windows technician: when you are trying to think of how to do something on the Macintosh and can't quite figure it out, stop and think about some of the most stupid-simple solutions you can come up with and the right answer will probably be one of them.

I was trying to figure out with some other techs for the longest time how to automatically mount network volumes on Macintosh and we were always encountering trouble. We were doing things like creating automator scrips to auto-execute command line prompts to mount the device and were still encountering problems. It wasn't until later that I figured out all you have to do is mount the drive, store the password in the keychain, and add the drive itself to your startup items. Stupid simple. I bet Linux guys struggle with this stuff even more.

What difference would I see with the max 4GB of RAM?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Thanks for the advise... I think i'll order the 4 GB kit next week from Crucial.

My transition has been easy and a pleasure so far. You were/are completely right about the easiest solution(s) for a problem is usually right. I have to use Windows at work and it's a pain now, lol.

Also, I've noticed that my Internet connection speed has gone up by about 25-30%... probably 'cause my old computer couldn't handle the speed.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Crucial RAM has been the standard in years past. I have not heard bad things about OWC's RAM, either. In my own machines at home, Crucial RAM's what I've got. Today, I'm not quite so sure who's got quality RAM.

In the video shop where I freelance, all of the G5s have had Crucial RAM fail in them. Kernal panics popped up, general flakiness happened -- you name all the stuff associated with bad RAM, it was happening.

To their credit, Crucial replaced all the G5 RAM modules in question. The problem was they wanted all the original receipt numbers and dates purchased to get the RMA. PITA, but understandable.