Poll: Do you ever use your Apple Remote?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Seeing that the new portables released today don't come with the remote, thought I would see if other people use theirs!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I use mine a lot ~ but then I do keynote presentations a lot!

Thankfully our office ordered several mac mini's a few months ago and I have 2 extra remotes that never get used sitting in my office, just for the off chance I lose my remote or get a new macbook pro without one!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My 2' iMac is used as a TV...

It's little white Apple remote gets one hell of a workout.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Funny you mention that.

I played with it yesterday for the first time in ages browsing FrontRow. It does come in quite handy, but I usually only watch movies by myself on my laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    yvonyvon Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Funny you mention that.

I played with it yesterday for the first time in ages browsing FrontRow. It does come in quite handy, but I usually only watch movies by myself on my laptop.

Same here, I used it today for the first time. I plug my macbook on my home stereo to listen to some songs and I used it with Itunes.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    iTunes

Keynote

MLB.TV Mosaic
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Never on the Mac, they are still inside the packages. I do have an  tv tho if that's count.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

My 2' iMac is used as a TV...

It's little white Apple remote gets one hell of a workout.

Guess I should have mentioned that by "TV" I mean broadcast, off-the-air television as received by computer attached TV tuners. (EyeTV Hybrid and HDHomerun)

For people with such devices, the remote gets non-stop use. Yet, I agree with Apple's decision to stop bundling remotes with the new laptops. If most end up unused in desk drawers, it would seem considerate to customers to not bundle the remote.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debenm View Post

I use mine a lot ~ but then I do keynote presentations a lot!

As do I, but I've found the Apple remote sucks for Keynote presentations, at least for me. I like to interact with the people I present with, so I usually end up not being within line of sight of the IR receiver. So awkward having to head back to the front of the room just to change slides.

Switched to the Griffin AirClick. Works just as well.

I rarely use Front Row, so the Apple remote mostly goes unused, but I did have a really long (and I mean months long) business trip a while back where I used my MBP a good number of evenings as a DVD player. (after a few days, hotel TV gets really old.) and got to use the remote quite a bit during that time. Still a very nifty device. I really like how you can put your Mac to sleep by holding down the Play/Pause button.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Still in the box.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    My iMac's in the spare room so I kick back and watch Lost due to my cable supplier not having access to the UK channel it's shown on
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quite frequently. Note with Front Row though.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Would use it more often if my desktop had a remote (an old iMac G5). Only use it on my MacBook when traveling. (while listening to music in a hotel room)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    debenmdebenm Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RexTraverse View Post

As do I, but I've found the Apple remote sucks for Keynote presentations, at least for me. I like to interact with the people I present with, so I usually end up not being within line of sight of the IR receiver. So awkward having to head back to the front of the room just to change slides.

My apple remote works great from anywhere in the room when doing presentations... I don't think I've ever had to walk back in front of my MBP ~ powerful little sucker!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I use mine everyday. I do a lot of Keynotes for school and home (don't ask...) and It's really great to use. I also just recently started using Front Row everyday now. Like if I want to listen to my music but don't have to do anything on my iMac at the moment, I push the little Menu button and my screen goes dark and I'm listening to my music within seconds.

(Sorry for the descriptions lol I just found out I got school off today )
  • Reply 15 of 16
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    the remote is great! if anyone hasn't used it yet, i highly recommend trying it out. It works fantastic with keynote and it's handy for changing tracks without having to bring up itunes from across the room.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I use it every single day. I use it to change the currently playing song. I use it to watch movies at night. I adjust the volume, etc. I <3 my Apple Remote.