how to switch between windows?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
as titled,

the dock may do, what if the dock is off? and the dock does not hold all windows i open,

i dont wanna close ten windows to look for one,

in Windows i could ctrl + tab, is there any shortcut in iMac?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Most apps use cmd-` (command-backtick or tilde). On English QWERTY keyboards, that's the key above the tab key. A few older ones may not use cmd-`, but that's the new default with Cocoa and a lot of the "big" apps.

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 14
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thanks starfleetX

but i dont get it

i am using the new iMac keyboard

so what keys to switch between windows?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    If you mean switch between applications, cmd+tab will do that. If you mean windows within a certain application, it's application specific. Like starfleetx said, usually cmd+~ will do it. You might also want to check out <a href="http://www.obdev.at/"; target="_blank">LaunchBar</a> to switch between apps. After using this app for 10 minutes, I registered it. After using it for 2 months, I'm lost without it. Good stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    In addition to the application specific shortcuts, like Apple ~, you can also use the Window menu to switch between windows.

For example, in both Explorer and Omniweb, you can press Apple ~ to cycle through windows.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    thanks guys

life is a lot easier for me now!

just find out Apple ~ is not working in Netscape

torifile, i'm testing launchbar, wow good stuff, thanks again
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Netscape is one of those kludgy apps based on really old code whose interface really isn't up to OSX's high standards yet.

In Netscape (and Mozilla, of course), cmd-1 changes between browser windows. Check the "Tasks" menu for Netscape's key equivalents.

Oh, and sorry about the confusion before. Simply put, here's how Apple likes to do it:

cmd-tab : switches entire programs

cmd-` : switches windows within the same program
  • Reply 7 of 14
    BTW, I know this is rather pedantic, but the correct key here is the backtick (`) not the tilde (~). The tilde is the "upper case" character for the backtick (meaning you have to hold shift to get it) and thus saying to use cmd-tilde is actually saying to use cmd-shift-backtick. It's important to recognize the difference because some apps have separate menus bound to, for example, cmd-+ and cmd-= which are also both on the same key but accessed differently by the shift modifier.

Not that anyone probably really cares...

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 14
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    Technically, starfleet, you are correct. But look at the command in Internet Explorer. It says:

Cycle through windows - cmd ~

I guess they do this because it's easy to get the ` and ' keys confused. ~ is a much easier character to recognize.

And while we're at it, why the hell doesn't the Finder have this functionality?

Oh yeah, because it sucks (the Finder, that is).
  • Reply 9 of 14
    if an app doesn't support cmd-tilde, then look under the "Window"(not that kind) menu, and see what the hot key is for cycleing windoze
  • Reply 10 of 14
    thanks guys

i learn a bit of iMac everyday!

today: the command key!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    another GREAT way to switch windows (of the same program) is by right clicking (or control-clicking) the icon in the dock. A menu will then pop up from there showing all available windows, and you may select the one you seek to bring it to front. This works great when I have several web-pages open through internet explorer and I need to switch between them.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    thanks mike
  • Reply 13 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by mike kozen:

<strong>another GREAT way to switch windows (of the same program) is by right clicking (or control-clicking) the icon in the dock. A menu will then pop up from there showing all available windows, and you may select the one you seek to bring it to front.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for sharing this great trick, Mike. Even old Mac users can learn new things every day.

I really need to go out and buy myself an OS X book to learn how to use it better. I'm leaning towards David Pogue's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000820/ref=nosim/davidpogueA/102-8716758-6569739&quot; target="_blank">Mac OS X: The Missing Manual</a>.

Escher
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>

I'm leaning towards David Pogue's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000820/ref=nosim/davidpogueA/102-8716758-6569739&quot; target="_blank">Mac OS X: The Missing Manual</a>.

Escher</strong><hr></blockquote>

I went out and bought that book and it's great.

Lots of great tips and easy reading too.