High-Def output on MBP 15"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

First post here. Found this forum about 2 weeks ago when I started looking for a MBP and heard rumors about the update.

Anyway, I did a search on 720p, display output, etc. but only got AppleTV threads in response. So here's where I need advice.

Now that they're out, I want to get one of the new ones, but I can't decide between the 15" and the 17". I've seen that the 17" has the high-res option to output at 1080p to my 47" HDTV, but can the 15" output at 720p? The reason I ask is that the differnce between the two resolutions isn't enough to get me to ditch the extra $300 for the 17", but if the 15" can't do hi-def at all, then its worth the extra money for me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    "but can the 15" output at 720p?"

Yup. Has done that since the G4 days.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks!

What's the big deal about the hi-res option then?

I've been a PC user up until now, so I didn't know anything about the history.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    np

Hi res option is for 1080p display. It's the sort of thing that if Apple DOESN'T offer they'll be blasted everyway to Sunday and back by users of this board - among many others.

Great for video road warriors to show clients a full res ad or presentation thingy ...

Personally, if I was in the market - I'd spring for the upgrade. The Apple tax ain't too bad.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

np

Hi res option is for 1080p display. It's the sort of thing that if Apple DOESN'T offer they'll be blasted everyway to Sunday and back by users of this board - among many others.

Great for video road warriors to show clients a full res ad or presentation thingy ...

Personally, if I was in the market - I'd spring for the upgrade. The Apple tax ain't too bad.

Well, I've got a 47" LCD widescreen 1080p TV. I mostly plan to use the MBP into the TV only when I'm editing music in Logic and save the High-Def movies and stuff to my Blu-ray player and HD satellite. As long as the 15" can output the 720p as you say and look reasonably smooth (e.g., like what a 720p high-def signal into my TV would look like), then I'll spring for the 15" instead and save the $300.

Does that sound like the best option for me given my needs?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Well, I have an old G4 1.67 pb (on it right now) and it's still chugging along just like new - so as for the needs of you new fangled kids it's really beyond my ability to guess ....

But if you want to be sure - head on in to an Apple Store or var they're bound to have an tv rigged up to a hd panel. Ask them to hook the MBP to the panel and knock yourself out testing.

I'd say you'll be fine.

(The only caveat is - that I'd have any media on an external drive hooked up to the mbp - it allows the OS to spin that other drive without the potential for i/o head banging if you were playing media of the boot drive. You know hangs or dropped frames etc). But that's just me - I know others feel no fear at all.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Wouldn't either computer be able to outup 1080p? Framerates might be crap, but if you're just messing around in OSX it might not be that much of an issue. I know I've done it in XP on my 15".