Microsoft Messenger - webcam?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

Does anyone know if Microsoft are ever going to add webcam support to Messenger for the Mac? I've been waiting for years for this... I've finally convinced my partner to move to the Mac - but it's embarrassing that there's no way for him to do webcam chat like he used to.

I know there's iChat - but most people are unfortunately on MSN. We've tried aMSN and I remember now why I deleted it in the first place. I don't know if it's programmed in COBOL or something but it looks ridiculous and runs like treacle...

Any other suggestions?

Ta!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Wel, microsoft and giving mac users the same functionality.... Expect to wait longer....

In the mean time, I'd suggest adium for normal text chat and Skype or iChat for video-chatting.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    That's what I was afraid you were going to say!

We both use all of those pieces of software you mention, but sometimes some friends only have Messenger on their PC and just assume everyone else can webcam chat with them.

So I guess we're stuck with aMSN for MSN webcam chat... Unless you know of another option out there?

(why do MS hold back on the webcam option for Mac I wonder?)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

So I guess we're stuck with aMSN for MSN webcam chat... Unless you know of another option out there?

(why do MS hold back on the webcam option for Mac I wonder?)

Adium's getting video chat soon. And that's for all of the services it uses. http://www.adiumx.com/blog/2007/10/h...eopard-day.php

But as for your question, Apple is M$'s biggest competitor, they're doing the same with Office.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synthetic Frost View Post

But as for your question, Apple is M$'s biggest competitor, they're doing the same with Office.

Yeah, I just found out that it is not possible to select text and make it a hyperlink in MS entourage 2008 (the mac equivalent of outlook). WTF?????
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

Yeah, I just found out that it is not possible to select text and make it a hyperlink in MS entourage 2008 (the mac equivalent of outlook). WTF?????

See now, forgive me if I'm being short-sighted, but why do people bother using Entourage when Apple Mail does pretty much everything plus it fully integrates with the OS? I am forced to use Outlook at work on the PC, but at home Apple Mail is all I'll ever need. An email client is just an email client, no? Because Microsoft Messenger doesn't give me anything Adium doesn't, I have no reason to use it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synthetic Frost View Post

Adium's getting video chat soon. And that's for all of the services it uses. http://www.adiumx.com/blog/2007/10/h...eopard-day.php

w00t! Thanks for the info! Can't wait.

Quote:

I really don't understand that logic. Apple have Safari and iTunes on the PC, both fully featured. Their Intel machines can dual boot. I know many PC users who have jumped ship because of this, and have ended up doing all their work in OSX. Isn't that the best way to infiltrate a market?

I guess it's this Microsoft attitude that has cost them $1.4bn in the EU...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

See now, forgive me if I'm being short-sighted, but why do people bother using Entourage when Apple Mail does pretty much everything plus it fully integrates with the OS?

Oh yeah, mail is way better, I have to use entourage on the macbook for work, as mail does not support the configuration of the exchange mailserver at work.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Mmmm.... MS Exchange....
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

I really don't understand that logic. Apple have Safari and iTunes on the PC, both fully featured. Their Intel machines can dual boot. I know many PC users who have jumped ship because of this, and have ended up doing all their work in OSX. Isn't that the best way to infiltrate a market?

I guess it's this Microsoft attitude that has cost them $1.4bn in the EU...

Exactly. Apple released iTunes and Safari on Windows to bring people over to the Mac. Microsoft sees no point in making good software for OS X because they know that if the user is on OS X, the user's already aware of computers enough to have an opinion. Microsoft's the one with all the people. They've nothing to gain by appealing to Mac users because they've all already switched FROM Windows.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    This topic is coming up about once a week now. Maybe it's time to make it a sticky.

Both aMSN and Mercury Messenger support video chat on the MSN network. Neither are perfect but both are usable.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=84433

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=84171

aMSN

Mercury Messenger