Time Capsule file hashing?

pd0pd0
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does time capsule hash stored files to avoid storing the same file twice?

Lately I've been rethinking me and my gf's backup routines. I'm wondering about time capsule. I would figure that a lot of our files, say MP3, photos, etc. are the same. It would seem to me that storing those files twice would be a waste of space.

Can you inform me? I couldn't find any good info on it on google.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pd0pd0 Posts: 3member
    Thanks, that's a very in depth article.

However, it doesn't answer if it will multi-link files in time-capsule that is saved from two different computers.

I understand that it doesn't take up unnecessary space for the same file being saved twice when I backup my comp. But does it do the same if multiple computers are connected to the same time capsule? The article doesn't answer that.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pd0 View Post

Thanks, that's a very in depth article.

However, it doesn't answer if it will multi-link files in time-capsule that is saved from two different computers.

I understand that it doesn't take up unnecessary space for the same file being saved twice when I backup my comp. But does it do the same if multiple computers are connected to the same time capsule? The article doesn't answer that.

It doesn't state that, but since Time Machine is what is actually doing the decisions on what to save and Time Capsule is just the storage medium, there is no computer-to-computer file comparison. Each individual machine manages it's own Time Machine directory on the Time Capsule.