Is my ISP deleting my mail?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a problem I can't see has been addressed anywhere else. If I've missed a thread, please someone guide me to it.

I have mac mail. I also have an ususual situation in that I am an adult webmaster. I often get emails with words (not four letter words, but, for example, the word "spanking") in the subject line. These emails can be from peole who are in my address book. I also will get mail from friends who are writing me from their own websites, for example [email protected]

I have tested this from a gmail account. An email will come into my mac.com account. I can see it up on the server. Within minutes, my mail program on my home machine checks for new mail. Not only does the "offending" email not download, but it is then DELETED from mac.com.

I have checked every setting in Mail, and cannot see anything that would be causing this. I have turned off junk mail filtering completely, for example. The only conclusion I can come to is that my ISP had decided for me that I don't want the mail, and is not only preventing me from receiving it on my computer (bad enough), but is telling mac.com to delete it.

I am extremely frustrated by this. I fear confronting my isp because to do so I would need to admit that I am running adult websites from my home, something that no doubt is against the TOS (though of course they are not hosted at my house.) I don't want to be forced to use web based mail exclusively . I like Mail and want to continue using it, but I am not getting mail from my writers and contributors, and not getting customer services queries.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

A

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Cool job.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annieb393 View Post

An email will come into my mac.com account. I can see it up on the server. Within minutes, my mail program on my home machine checks for new mail. Not only does the "offending" email not download, but it is then DELETED from mac.com.

That's what happens with POP accounts. As soon as a mail program downloads it, the server deletes it to free up space. So as you say, it's as if the server is being told the mail has been downloaded and either your ISP or Mail is blocking it. Have you tried another email app such as Entourage that comes part of Office? If you don't already have Office, you can try Thunderbird, which is free:

http://en.www.mozilla.com/en/thunderbird/

Close down Mail so it doesn't try to retrieve any messages. Leave Mail closed for a few days and use say Thunderbird and see if you get the same issue. If not, you will know for sure it's Mail acting up.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Even with POP you can set it to leave the messages on the server.