Apple Blu-ray Disc Support on MacPro and MBP

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think they will come out with

Mac Pro and MBP standard Blu ray (Read and Write) R/RE Dual layer (write 4x) drives

at WWDC 2008 in June

Also i expect Final Cut Studio 2.5 (with Disc Studio Pro 5 w/ BD support with BD Live, BD-J, PiP)

(FCE and iMovie will probably get it in their next update cycles as BD drives are for pro only machines now)

Also 10.5.3 will add native support for BDs (read/write and format in Disc Utility) and UDF 2.60

Finally Apple will probably release Disc Player (successor to DVD Player) in 10.5.3

with Profile 2.0 (apple doesnt go half-way, they didnt go for BD combo drives) and make it probably the best working BD software player

PS: its impossible not to release FCS 2.5 w/ BD support and not Disc Player as they use the same frameworks (ex: Quicktime foundation in OS X)

Also the 15" MBP only has a 1440x900 pixel screen (SD is 720x480, so it isnt that much better)

HD is 1920 x 1080 (computer screen use 1920 x 1200)

So Apple should upgrade the 15" to full HD along with the 17" to standard if they want to include Blu ray it only makes sense

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    The big problem right now is power consumption. Until there's a Blu-Ray drive on the market that has decent power consumption, nothing in the MBP. Mac Pros may come sooner, but apple would probably like to update both in one fell swoop.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    da2357da2357 Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by welcomb View Post

So Apple should upgrade the 15" [MBP] to full HD along with the 17" to standard if they want to include Blu ray it only makes sense

If Apple tried upping the 15" MBP from 1440x900 to 1920x1200, I'd ask whether they had started buying stock in eyeglasses. Raising the 17" MBP from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 is still a stretch. Sorry to disagree, but I think Blu-Ray drives will appear in the Mac Pro and 24" iMac long before they show up in a laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    THey'll show up in a Mac Pro before they show up in anything. Probably long before anything else.