Excited about the switch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have been a PC user since my family first bought a Tandy computer with Windows 3.1 and I have used almost every consumer o.s. Microsoft has produced. So after all that time I have decided to try out the other side of the fence and bought a 2008 black Macbook. I have never used OS-X but I have watched a friend piddle around in it. To be perfectly honest the only experience I have with an Apple product is my video iPod I bought from a friend. My motivation for buying the Macbook was simple... I hear they work well right out of the box and come with some useful software. I saw an older blackbook from across the library one day and it looked very sleek.

I am pretty excited about diving head first into a new computer. I sold my very powerful desktop gaming pc to get this macbook and I feel pretty damn good about it Just thought I would say hi and get my name out there because I will probably be pestering you guys with some questions and comments over the next few days. If I can hold back my excitement tomorrow/Tuesday when it arrives I will take plenty of pictures and hopefully put together some kind of unboxing post and some youtube video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    that's exciting I'm sure you will love it
  • Reply 2 of 9
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robi0024 View Post

I have never used OS-X but I have watched a friend piddle around in it. To be perfectly honest the only experience I have with an Apple product is my video iPod I bought from a friend. My motivation for buying the Macbook was simple... I hear they work well right out of the box and come with some useful software.

Some advice from one switcher to another. Don't get frustrated when OS X doesn't do some small thing in the same way Windows did. I don't know how much typing you do on a daily basis but simple stuff like keyboard shortcuts for selecting text, forward/backward text deleting (e.g. delete vs. backspace), moving to the beginning/end of a word/line/document, etc. will work a little differently in OS X. Invest just a little time and get used to the Mac way instead of expecting your memorized Windows navigation shortcuts to automatically work on your MacBook, you'll be a lot happier and the transition will easier.

Apple has some tutorials on their Find Out How page with specific sections for OS X, Photos, Movies, Web, Music and iWork. More text tutorials than video tutorials at this point, though (unfortunately). Also, TUAW has a Mac 101 section with a fairly good mishmash of tips on a wide range of topics that are worth wading through if you have the time someday.

If you are the type that reads how-to books, David Pogue's OS X Leopard Missing Manual is probably best I've seen so far on the topic. I see he has a new book on Leopard specifically for switchers: Switching to the Mac Missing Manual Leopard Ed.. I haven't seen it in person yet (not in stock at my local Apple store or Borders/BN/etc) and Oreilly hasn't gotten around to posting the table of contents online, but if the other book is any indication it'll probably be worth the $20 Amazon is asking. (I'm not affiliated with Pogue, Oreilly or Amazon I'm just satisfied customer.)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    robi0024robi0024 Posts: 10member
    Thanks a ton for all the info/advice John.

I don't currently have a wirelessN router or HDD backup so after some quick research I found the Apple Time Capsule 500GB does everything I need. 100/1000 Ethernet - Wireless G/N - Automatic backup. Wow I ordered it and can't wait to try it out later this week.

Has anyone here on the forums got this thing home and spent some time with it? I'd do some more extensive searching on the forums but im headed out the door in a minute.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

I don't currently have a wirelessN router or HDD backup so after some quick research I found the Apple Time Capsule 500GB does everything I need. 100/1000 Ethernet - Wireless G/N - Automatic backup. Wow I ordered it and can't wait to try it out later this week.

Has anyone here on the forums got this thing home and spent some time with it? I'd do some more extensive searching on the forums but im headed out the door in a minute.

Well, my Time Capsule hasn't shipped yet, but here's what I can tell you. The 500GB should be a good size for backing up a blackbook. The initial backups speeds aren't exactly Teh Snappyz? so you'll want to do the first sync with an Ethernet cable, but it seems OK otherwise. Link to Engadget's first impressions.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    robi0024robi0024 Posts: 10member
    The initial backup will be without the backup program via ethernet. It should be an easy process because I am moving files from my friends server onto the Time Capsule and the only other thing I need to network to it is a Dell laptop via wirelessG. I ordered the TC tonight but I did not notice until now that it will not ship until March 10-12. That's a bit annoying considering it said it would ship within 24hours Oh well im sure I will be busy playing around with my new blackbooK! Let me know how your TC works if you get it first.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I am DYING HERE waiting for Time Capsule !!! argh
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I am DYING HERE waiting for Time Capsule !!! argh

When did you order vs when it will ship? For me it was...

Ordered March 2nd

Ships by: Mar 10 - Mar 12

Delivers by: Mar 12 - Mar 18

Boo
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I am waiting for the demo unit to arrive at my local retail store... Must... resist... urge... to buy it... At least until I try it out first.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I wish i knew what it was like to switch, ive been a mac user my wholel ife =] but i do remember the feeling of my first mac