OSX, is there anything left to give?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well, is there? Does anyone stil think performance enhancements can still be had from a fairly extensive tweaking, or was the jump to 10.1 the best we could hope for?

If 10.2 provides a similar speed increase over 10.1 (as 10.1 provided over 10) that would minimize many hardware issues (at least for a while)

It not, how much more hardware performance do you all estimate is neccessary before OSX is as snappy as 9.1?

So whaddaya think: Major OSX speed optimizations for MWNY? Or big hardware boosts? Or some mix of the two?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Software and hardware 'speeds' will probably both be improved in the future.

Just a guess.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think a software boost would be nice, especially for older/current users, but I have a feeling that things will only really improve when the CPU-MoBo combination gets a lot faster. But, will it happen by MWNY?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well, I'm hoping another operating system update is due soon. I always loved the changes and improvements that a Classic Mac OS update brought.

There are so many features I'd like to see in 'Mac OS X', I can't wait for Apple to unveil the update. If Mac OS X gets a good re-work at MWNY, I'll be a very happy person.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Actually, I remember after X.1 came out, during an interview, one of the Apple higheer-ups said there's still room for another speed boost along the lines of 10 --> 10.1. No, I don't have a link, but I clearly remember reading that exact statement. Kinda gives you hope for the future, huh?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It certainly does. Such a jump would probably supply OS9 level snap to the interface. The way the hardware side is going, any extra software improvements are crucial.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Here's my feeling ( and I'm pretty certain about this ). Both hardware and software boosts in speed. Probably at MWNY.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    I hope that MacOS X will get some speed improvments because I like my iBook, it works fine, but there's always room for some extra speed.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ameatameat Posts: 18member
    i must say that my girlfriend just bought a new dual gig tower and osx is absolutely beautiful on it. this is of course in comparison to a lombard 400 powerbook but the system is incredibly smooth and the concept of slow doesn't even cross my mind. sure, it'd be nice if my lombard felt that fast but the fact is that new software drives the need for faster hardware. it's always been like that and it's a frustrating reality especially when it's an expensive reality but give the dual gig g4 a drive, it's a world of difference...