Yeaaah Tiger! Go!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This last week, I upgraded to Tiger - because I wanted to use TurboTax. Talk about companies not caring about customers - Intuit requires OS X 10.4 to run TT. No concern for customers with older OS's. HOWEVER, I'm d____ed glad I had to upgrade.

I've been bumbling along with Panther on my 800 G4 forever. After upgrading to 1.411, and upgrading Safari, QuickTime, FireFox, etc. and tracing down bugs, I'm happier than a pig wallowing in sh_t. My old G4 has perked up and is snappier than ever. I hadn't realized what an OS upgrade could do - just in operation.

Two regrets: I didn't upgrade long before I was forced to - and secondly, that I don't have a G4 867, so I could upgrade to Leopard. Belay that. Never satisfied. Always wanting something better. Maybe that's a curse laid on Mac enthusiasts.

Anyway, thanks to Marvin and other AI members, I have practically a new machine.

Has anyone else felt that upgrading gave a shot in the arm to their computer? I'm referring to computer operation, not new bells and whistles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I might feel that way if I was a little more patient.

I usually install the new OS shortly after it is released and deal with the bugs while it becomes snappier. And I'm usually using pretty new hardware (admittedly newer, in many cases, than what I could honestly say I need).

I was amazed, though, how long my old G4 PowerMac was able to keep pace with modern OS X technology. It ran wonderfully well under Tiger. Similarly, I wouldn't have upgraded it to Leopard.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    royboyroyboy Posts: 445member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

This last week, I upgraded to Tiger - because I wanted to use TurboTax. Talk about companies not caring about customers - Intuit requires OS X 10.4 to run TT. No concern for customers with older OS's. HOWEVER, I'm d____ed glad I had to upgrade.

I've been bumbling along with Panther on my 800 G4 forever. After upgrading to 1.411, and upgrading Safari, QuickTime, FireFox, etc. and tracing down bugs, I'm happier than a pig wallowing in sh_t. My old G4 has perked up and is snappier than ever. I hadn't realized what an OS upgrade could do - just in operation.

Two regrets: I didn't upgrade long before I was forced to - and secondly, that I don't have a G4 867, so I could upgrade to Leopard. Belay that. Never satisfied. Always wanting something better. Maybe that's a curse laid on Mac enthusiasts.

Anyway, thanks to Marvin and other AI members, I have practically a new machine.

Has anyone else felt that upgrading gave a shot in the arm to their computer? I'm referring to computer operation, not new bells and whistles.

I feel the same way you do. My G4 466 Digital Audio came with OS 9.1. Took me a long time, but I eventually upgraded to 10.2 and stayed there from quite some time. A little over a year ago I upgraded to 10.4 and with each upgrade, my computer got "snappier and snappier"and now with 10.4.11 it's the best it has ever been and the computer I've kept the longest. Between 3 to 4 years at the most is when I get a new Mac. Knock on wood, but this baby is still going strong after a little over 7 years.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

and secondly, that I don't have a G4 867, so I could upgrade to Leopard. Belay that. Never satisfied. Always wanting something better. Maybe that's a curse laid on Mac enthusiasts.

I have a Qucksilver M8705LL/A that originally came with a G4 800 processor, but the previous owner upgraded it to 1.8 GHz with a GigaDesigns upgrade, and it has Leopard running on it now. You just have to set the processor to the lowest setting, or the install routine won't accept it, install Leopard, and then crank the processor to the highest, stable speed it will handle.

The catch with running Leopard on this computer is that DVD Player playback of DVD's with subtitles turned on will not play correctly. You get choppy video and sound. It plays fine with captions (as it's not another subpicture playing on top of the main picture like subtitling is). For those with subtitles, I reboot into Tiger on another partition only to play the DVD. I have to have my Spaces, coming from a Linux background.