10.1.3 bugs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
how many of you have found bugs that are really annoying. i have found two:in cocoa and carbon apps, the dock makes a wierd gray color when the magnification sends it on top of a window. the other bug is in iTunes 2.0.4: the cursor disappears right after I select an MP3 to play.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    The cursor bug isn't related to 10.1.3; it's been an issue with iTunes since 1.0.

I can't ever recall seeing the dock bug you mention, though.

As for bugs in general, there are too many to list. I'll name one: Finder.

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 17
    [quote]

I can't ever recall seeing the dock bug you mention, though.

<hr></blockquote>

It only happens with OW, but only in 10.1.3, not 10.1.2.

oh, and I should have said bugs that are new with 10.1.3
  • Reply 3 of 17
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    My iTunes (2.04) does not do that at all. My cursor never moves or hides at all.

Also, i am trying to see the dock bug - but I am not sure I know what you mean!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Patchouli:

<strong>My cursor never moves or hides at all.</strong><hr></blockquote>Never when coming out of full-screen visualizer mode?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Mouse slow-down in certain games such as RTCW
  • Reply 6 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by G-Dog:

<strong>Mouse slow-down in certain games such as RTCW</strong><hr></blockquote>Are you sure the game isn't at fault? BTW, on Carracho or not, RTWC is not "gold" yet so you shouldn't use that example.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    If Adobe engineers are to be believed, there are some serious screen refresh and general display-related bugs in OS X that are at the heart of many of the problems experienced by Illustrator in particular and InDesign as well (and probably Photoshop - let's be real).

Their apps don't use Quartz at all but rather AGM (their own display engine with is cross-platform and also has several capabilities Quartz does not), so I'm not sure how display problems on their apps can be caused by OS X, but who knows. All I know is Adobe is supposedly in close contact with Apple and letting them know where the problems are, so hopefully they'll be gone by 10.2 / the next dot releases.

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>If Adobe engineers are to be believed, there are some serious screen refresh and general display-related bugs in OS X that are at the heart of many of the problems experienced by Illustrator in particular and InDesign as well (and probably Photoshop - let's be real).

Their apps don't use Quartz at all but rather AGM (their own display engine with is cross-platform and also has several capabilities Quartz does not)</strong><hr></blockquote>

That explains that. Apple probably only spiffed up the lower display layers enough for Quartz, rather than starting out with a robust, all-purpose display layer.

Since Adobe has to use Adobe everything, I don't doubt they're stressing all kinds of lower-level system functionality. They're probably debugging the VFS implementation so that they can introduce their own filesystem.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 10 of 17
    One thing that is a complete mystery to me in OS X is a strange phenomenon that happens about once a month.

I'll be work with about a dozen or so applications open. I haven't abused this install; there aren't many low level things installed, just DAVE and Timbuktu. In any case, all of a sudden, the entire screen goes blue... but it's that solid blue that is displayed when you first login to X. I get no warning dialogs, no error messages, the sceen just goes blue, and I'm presented with the desktop as if I had just logged in. No apps other than the Finder are running. It happens rather quickly... it's like when the finder unexpectedly quit in mac OS 9 and then relaunched itself... only this time, it's like I was "unexpectedly logged out and back in again".

Dunno if this has happened o anyone else, but it is pretty sketchy...
  • Reply 11 of 17
    M3D Jack&gt; Yeah, I've have that happen to me a couple of times too. I'm guessing it's a memory-related issue, that some application tries to write over some other application's memory address so the OS panics and restarts all applications. I don't think this's ever happened to me w/o Classic running. As I'm pretty sure none of my kernel panics have occured w/o Classic running. And we all know how stable OS 9 is.

That's just an uneducated guess though.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Data Loss! :eek:

<a href="http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreader10.1.3pt08.html"; target="_blank">http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreader10.1.3pt08.html</a>;

This needs a fix NOW. Anyone seen this in action?

Data loss is the first reason why I don't use Windows. ("Data loss" on Windows is also of course closely related to "security" too, sometimes )

AND, does anyone know how we can change the Keyboard shortcuts for menu items??? It used to be VERY easy, just a short trip to ResEdit. In X 3rd party stuff isn't required, I hope?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I just found out today what happens when you fill your system (ie the drive with VM used on it) and exceed your current ram usage (ie, VM needs to make another chunk of VM)... nothing. unless you call the spinning disk something
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Oh, and I wish they'd fix the DVD player. I installed all the latest update, but on my dual 450 G4 running my display through a PCI Radeon, the DVD player claims my configuration is unsupported. I'd use the AGP Rage 128, except that it is slower, and it only has ADC and VGA, and my display needs DVI. somehow I get the feeling they won't be fixing this though, and I'm going to have to go and pony up $$$ for an AGP Radeon...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mac's girlmac's girl Posts: 556member
    how do i go back to os x.1.2? i hate the x.1.3 update. my new kensington mouse (which has os x drivers) worked awesomely until i updated and now it doesnt click half the time, and so i have to keep clicking until it responds.

i noticed imovie likes 'quit unexpectedly' every so often. is that due to the x.1.3 update or is it just me? i usually dont even have other apps runing, maybe quicktime.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>

And the problem with that is...?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nothing at all.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    mac's girl my Kensington Elite Pro Optical works fine under X.1.3. I purchased mine/installed the software after the update. Have you tried reinstalling?