Thoughts on Voice Dialing?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Anyone want to comment on the safety value of voice dialing?

I don't make a practice of initiating phone calls while operating a car, but sometime, it just has to be done. Voice dialing would be simpler and safer than any other kind of dialing (well, telepathy might be better) and I'm anxious for iPhone to have this feature. I guess it will take a third party to develop this.

iPhone is such an amazing device. I'm looking forward to getting it. Did I say device? Maybe it should be called a platform - it certainly is becoming one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I'd like a camcorder app that would turn the camera into a video recorder. I remember seeing a hack that did it well (full screen recording at 15 fps).

I'd also like to see some SCUMM games ported like Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I wish the iPhone had a repositionable camera. Seems awfully shortsighted that Apple only had the lens on the back. Even my lousy Samsung phone has a camera I can tilt for forward or back viewing.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    it has been one main reason i have not jumped to iPhone

i feel it is a mandatory safety feature, i bought BT car kits for my wife and I (blueant)

and only use BT this is a huge thing for me.....i don't want my wife getting in an accident trying to dial a phone that requires TWO HANDS......

we should try to list the best add on car kits or portable car kits. i like blueant
  • Reply 4 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    I never use it. I don't think it really makes you safer. Maybe for the female half of the species as they are apparently capable of multitasking.

For motor vehicle safety, all it takes is a distraction at the wrong time for you to have an accident. This includes anything from looking down at your speedometer, talking to a passenger, changing HVAC settings, taking a drink, spacing out, etc. So if a driver just pays attention during the critical times such as at intersections, parking lots, kids, etc, that'll increase safety more than voice dialing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wish the iPhone had a repositionable camera. Seems awfully shortsighted that Apple only had the lens on the back. Even my lousy Samsung phone has a camera I can tilt for forward or back viewing.

The USA is soooo behind in technology it's sicking. People in the US get so excited over OLD! technology. People if apple want to put 5 or more megapixel in a cameraphone, they could do it TODAY! But why? when it make more sense to release it one megapixel at a time. this way your american can do what they do best, (Spend), to always want the latest & the greatest every year. Hence keep buying a new cameraphone every year or so. So Apple is very smart to do it this way in America. But over seas the people are way to smart to fall for that crap and won't buy. So as long as America want to keep dishing out the cash for a new cameraphone because it's NEW. Heck why should Apple give you the best now... So either stop buying, until your demand or heard, or stop crying and buy the iPhone...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/l...l-cameraphone/
  • Reply 6 of 8
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoenixpr View Post

The USA is soooo behind in technology it's sicking. People in the US get so excited over OLD! technology. People if apple want to put 5 or more megapixel in a cameraphone, they could do it TODAY! But why? when it make more sense to release it one megapixel at a time. this way your american can do what they do best, (Spend), to always want the latest & the greatest every year. Hence keep buying a new cameraphone every year or so. So Apple is very smart to do it this way in America. But over seas the people are way to smart to fall for that crap and won't buy. So as long as America want to keep dishing out the cash for a new cameraphone because it's NEW. Heck why should Apple give you the best now... So either stop buying, until your demand or heard, or stop crying and buy the iPhone...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/l...l-cameraphone/

Being a photographer, I always laugh when I see phones with high resolution sensors. The quality of photos are more dependent on light sensitivity, shutter speed, aperture, and most importantly THE LENSE.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Lets stay on topic people.

I could care less for voice dialing. Not needed
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I don't like voice dialing, my fingers are faster