two os9 installs, one shared desktop

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
G4/450dp

I have a disk with three partitions.

The first partition should have OS9.1 on it for daily OS9 use.

The second partition should have OS9.2.1 on it for use by OSX.

However, the two OS9 partitions are sharing the same desktop! I used the finder and found a desktop folder on every drive!

How do I stop this. It sucks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    <plug>

This is the post to reply to!

</plug>

I have a computer sitting in limbo until I can fix this problem. Never seen it before.

thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    If you only answer one post today.

Make it this one!

Thanks!

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: sodamnregistered ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Err, delete one of the OS 9 installs.

9.2.2 is just as stable as 9.1; if not more. It's also certainly faster...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>Err, delete one of the OS 9 installs.

9.2.2 is just as stable as 9.1; if not more. It's also certainly faster...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks,

I have OS 91 on partition 1, it's for daily regular stand alone use on a dual 450. 9.1 is good on that machine.

I have 922 and X on partition 2. This way I can run a trimmed down extension set and so forth on a dedicated OS922 for use exclusively by X.

Then I have whole other seperate drives for work product and so forth.

My problem is these spooky shared desktop folders.

How can I reinstall/reinitialize the disks so this does not happen. This is a fresh install of all three OSes and I've never seen it before.

Again, thanks...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I use startup disk to switch between 91 and x partitions, never booting the 922 except to tweak it or install something.

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: sodamnregistered ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    As far as I remember, that's always been how Classic Mac OS worked.

The Desktop Folder in classic Mac OS is just on the root of the hard disk. Moreover, the 'desktop' shows the contents of the Desktop Folder on *all* attached disks.

That's why in classic OS, you could drag a document from a floppy onto the desktop, then eject the floppy, and have the document disappear! Reinsterting the floppy would make the document reappear on the desktop.

So in Mac OS 9.whatever, you'll see the contents of 'Desktop Folder' of all of your disks. That's just the way it is.

Of course, you could replace the Desktop FOlder on the one you use for Classic with a symlink or alias to your user Desktop folder. That would probably be more useful.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    After booting up, select the partition you aren't going to use, then press Command-Y. If it says something babal/obvious, click 'OK'

Now you have just one desktop file.