Upgrading MBP Hard Drive....Suggestions please!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
FYI.....MacBook Pro 15" 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, running 10.5.2

I'm upgrading my original hard drive on my MBP with this (250 GB model). I'll then put my original disk in the enclosure and use it for backups or whatever.

I'd like to do a clean install of Leopard on the new 250GB hard drive. My question to the geniuses out there is how do you suggest I go about installing Leopard on the new drive? Should I first install Leopard on the new drive externally? Or just install the thing and boot Leopard from the DVD. (Is that possible?). I'm just not sure of what (if any) prep I need to do to the new drive before installing it inside the MBP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Nice find.

I'm in the same boat with the same machine. I'm gonna give this a serious look. I like the enclosure so I can use the old hard drive as a back up or something.

Are you having problems with your Leopard install? Why do you want to do a clean install?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    No problems with Leopard. I did an upgrade from Tiger the first time. I just thought I'd do a clean install. I have everything backed up on a NAS and thought I could just copy documents that I need off of the old drive that will be in the enclosure.

Any thoughts as to why I wouldn't want to do an clean install. What would you suggest otherwise? This is the first time I've ever done this (first Mac) in case you haven't noticed.

*Oh and by the way, it was Bancho who suggested MCE Tech in this thread.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

No problems with Leopard. I did an upgrade from Tiger the first time. I just thought I'd do a clean install. I have everything backed up on a NAS and thought I could just copy documents that I need off of the old drive that will be in the enclosure.

Any thoughts as to why I wouldn't want to do an clean install. What would you suggest otherwise? This is the first time I've ever done this (first Mac) in case you haven't noticed.

Clean Install:

-Like a new system. No crud floating around (prefs etc) from uninstalled apps etc.

-Means you have to reinstall all your apps etc, copy your docs and other files and reconfigure Mail, System Prefs, Networking, printers, etc.

Restore from TimeMachine backup (or other):

-Faster, easier. Just install the new drive, boot off of the DVD and restore from TM. Once done, you will be at the same condition you were in previously in terms of your apps, docs, files, settings etc.

Also, have you looked at this drive? Yes, it is a WD, but the specs are good and the price is really good, depending on where you look (CanadaComputers just dropped it $30 today). Getting an enclosure for the other drive separately is pretty cheap.

Addition: hmm, maybe not a great drive for Macs, regardless of the price...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

*Oh and by the way, it was Bancho who suggested MCE Tech in this thread.

Well with super duper you can clone your old HDD, format the new one and the copy the clone onto the new drive. This also includes the apps. No need to install them and run updates. It should make installing the HDD the hardest part.

PS One reason I like SD better than TM is not having to re-install all the apps and run updates. That can take a long time and is a real pain in the ass IMO.

PSS Does the MCE set include the screw drivers needed? I got the impression it does.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Thanks for all the info and suggestions!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

PSS Does the MCE set include the screw drivers needed? I got the impression it does.

Yes, they said it has one screwdriver with several interchangeable heads in the kit, as well as screws for the enclosure and a wrist something or other for grounding. Also a CD with instructions.

It should be sitting on my porch when I get home!