External HD Not Mounting

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I have an external HD (Seagate Go) which I have been using on my Macbook for around three months now. It has worked fine in the past but now when I stick it in it nothing happens. The system profiler knows it is there but it doesn't come up and I can't access it. On Disk Utility it show up but all the repair options etc are greyed out. I tried to mount it and it said it could not be mounted.

I tried it on a windows PC and it worked fine.

Does anyone know anything that might get it to mount?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Something similar happened to me. Ive had my external harddrive for about a week and everything was fine until last night when i relized that the external harddrive icon wasnt on my desktop anymore. I tryed plug it back on i restarted several times. Im pretty sure it isnt completly full.Its a 250Gb WD...anyone know why this happens?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Did you try unplugging your hard drive (Firewire and AC) waiting twenty seconds then plugging it back in? Occasionally, my newer drive tends to flake out after a crash or something, and that usually gets it up and running.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HappyDrunk View Post

Did you try unplugging your hard drive (Firewire and AC) waiting twenty seconds then plugging it back in? Occasionally, my newer drive tends to flake out after a crash or something, and that usually gets it up and running.

It has happened to me a couple of times. What I do is this :

Switch of the computer.

take out all the cables and powercable

wait for 30 seconds

plug in power and start up.

when your mac is up and running, plug in all other cables

best regards

Zon
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I tryed all that and didnt work...ijust went and returned my harddrive and got a new one