Nehalem MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, i expect to either see these at MacWorld 2009 (or if the trend continues in feb like this year)

So basically it will be be using the Intel Calpella Chipset, Nehalem Processors and nVidia 9xxx M series

I have a feeling Nehalem will be sold under the Core 3/ Centrino 3 moniker

It will be quad-core (1 chip, 1 die, 1 processor, 4 cores)

Clock speeds around 2.6 to 2.8 i'd assume (by looked at montevina numbers and judging)

I am expecting a Blu-ray Disc Read/Write Drive (4x write dual layer) slot loading

Also i am expecting a 1920 x 1200 (standard on all MBPs) and DisplayPort 2.0 (~ 3600 x 2400 max)

I also expect Apple to include FireWire 3200 and possibly a SSD option (128GB)

(Probably a case redesign and new keyboard are in store for this summer)

Anything else missing, if not this is the MBP for ME

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by welcomb View Post

So, i expect to either see these at MacWorld 2009 (or if the trend continues in feb like this year)

So basically it will be be using the Intel Calpella Chipset, Nehalem Processors and nVidia 9xxx M series

I have a feeling Nehalem will be sold under the Core 3/ Centrino 3 moniker

It will be quad-core (1 chip, 1 die, 1 processor, 4 cores)

Clock speeds around 2.6 to 2.8 i'd assume (by looked at montevina numbers and judging)

I am expecting a Blu-ray Disc Read/Write Drive (4x write dual layer) slot loading

Also i am expecting a 1920 x 1200 (standard on all MBPs) and DisplayPort 2.0 (~ 3600 x 2400 max)

I also expect Apple to include FireWire 3200 and possibly a SSD option (128GB)

(Probably a case redesign and new keyboard are in store for this summer)

Anything else missing, if not this is the MBP for ME

Revise your planning please, Nehalem for notebooks is planned for Q2 2009 which usually translates to may-june in Intel's terms.

Mobile quads will still be expensive items next year (even if less expensive than the Montevina one at $999), expect them in the $530-999 range. I guess the MBP will start with a dual-core in the basic model, then an entry-level quad in the middle, with a faster one BTO. Mobile Nehalem quads will still be HOT processors (45W-55W TDP for the cpu + i/o hub, previously the chipset).

What we can expect at MW2009 is the Nehalem Mac Pro (Nehalem Xeon cpus and chipsets are planned for Q4 2008 which usually translates to late november in Intel's terms).

early Q1: Mac Pro + XServe,

late Q2 thru Q3: MBP, MB, iMac, Mac mini, MB Air
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    From the initial specs for the quad-core Nehalem it does not look like a 15" MacBook Pro would be able to cool this chip. At 45-55W only a 17" MacBook Pro might just be up to it. And don't expect battery life to be any good either.

And from all I read the mobile Nehalem chips won't arrive before Q2 2009 as the likely timeframe. Consider this to read June-August 2009 in Apple terms.

Or in other words more than a year from today. That's a long time to wait.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Revise your planning please, Nehalem for notebooks is planned for Q2 2009 which usually translates to may-june in Intel's terms.

Mobile quads will still be expensive items next year (even if less expensive than the Montevina one at $999), expect them in the $530-999 range. I guess the MBP will start with a dual-core in the basic model, then an entry-level quad in the middle, with a faster one BTO. Mobile Nehalem quads will still be HOT processors (45W-55W TDP for the cpu + i/o hub, previously the chipset).

What we can expect at MW2009 is the Nehalem Mac Pro (Nehalem Xeon cpus and chipsets are planned for Q4 2008 which usually translates to late november in Intel's terms).

early Q1: Mac Pro + XServe,

late Q2 thru Q3: MBP, MB, iMac, Mac mini, MB Air

When do you think we'll see a quad core iMac?

That's really what I'm waiting for. Nehalem sure looks nice but I don't know if I wan to wait till the middle of next year. I'd like to get an iMac this year.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    The current iMacs design uses mobile CPUs.

So Q2 2009 is the expected time for quad-core iMacs too as Nehalem is the first quad-core mobile chip.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

So Q2 2009 is the expected time for quad-core iMacs too as Nehalem is the first quad-core mobile chip.

Isn't there going to be a quad core penryn(mobile)?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

What???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Isn't there going to be a quad core penryn(mobile)?

Yes, there is. Q3 2008. Apple COULD release a 24" iMac with a quad likely in september (or whenever the chip is really available). I would also be interesting to see if Apple can use it in the 20" model too or even the 17" MBP. This 1st mobile quad will be expensive tho : $999 for a 2.53GHz quad is rumored.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    ...which is what FireWire3200 is going to compete against, according to Wikipedia.

DisplayPort - will come with Montevina in a few months, but I don't know about DisplayPort 2.0

SSD option - I do not think Apple is in a hurry to offer a SSD option for the MacBook or MacBook Pro; however, it will happen eventually, but not until the storage reaches a minimum of 192GB and the price is no more than $750.

Blu-ray drive - Blu-ray will come with the move to the Calpella platform.

Quad-core - Nehalem could be the first quad-core processors used in the MacBook Pro and iMac, but it will most likely be a CTO option for the iMac and maybe the 17" MacBook Pro. When Westmere, the 32nm shrink of Nehalem, comes out then the entire MacBook Pro and iMac lineup will be quad-core. The MacBook, MacBook Air and Mac mini will stay dual-core until they use the Sandy Bridge platform.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I find this a very irritating thread.

We haven't even got Penryn with Montevina yet and you're already anticipating Nehalem. it's like saying, I'm not going to buy the next generation BMW 3-Series, I am going to wait for the one after that.

Nehalem equipped MacBooks are about 18 months away. By that time, we could be using touchscreen Macs instead using an entirely different chip. As Apple proved with the iPhone, it didn't matter that EDGE/ 2.5 G was inferior to HSPDA/ 3G, because the user experience was so good.

The reason we all buy Macs is because of OSX not Intel. If the only thing that mattered was the speed of the chip, we'd be spending our hard-earned cash on Dells instead.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Nehalem is still far far away, and its just early of 08. Im sure 09 MacWorld wont be Nehalem MBP. Most likely its going to be about aluminium MacBook cause Steve said he is hoping to complete the transiction to Aluminium by the end of the year and wont it be a good effect if Steve announce the completion of their going green project in MacWorld with a new product?