Apple TV needs DVD/BluRay built in

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I want an AppleTV with built in DVD/BluRay superdrive. Having one device fill the roll of both digital rental/delivery as well as for playing traditional media makes the best possible sense and saves money; And no external add-ons, build it right into the unit please!! I'm personally holding off buying one because I just don't want another piece of specialized hardware but the day a combo surfaces I'll buy one right then.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Really? This all over again? If you do a search, you will find this discussed to death. I'll make a safe bet and say Apple will never, never release an appleTV with an optical drive. Why would they take away from their rental offerings? What possibly do they gain from it?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonar View Post

I want an AppleTV with built in DVD/BluRay superdrive. Having one device fill the roll of both digital rental/delivery as well as for playing traditional media makes the best possible sense and saves money; And no external add-ons, build it right into the unit please!! I'm personally holding off buying one because I just don't want another piece of specialized hardware but the day a combo surfaces I'll buy one right then.

Needs a washer/dryer, too. Why should I have specialized hardware. And a fridge. Then I'm buying....
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sonarsonar Posts: 3member
    A built in combo drive is perfect for this device, a built in washer I'm quite sure is not. Saying things that is a gross stretch in logic that abandons logic altogether. As for it's potentially conflicting with iTunes movie rental offerings; that won't really ever be a problem if they don't buy the device to begin with. One person renting nothing from iTunes is worse than one person renting only half there content from iTunes. Adding the drive makes the device usable and desirable for the broadest group of people. People who, like myself, already have a gazillion DVD's. Once people have it, they'll get used to clicking a few buttons from the couch to rent and watch movies in minutes.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Needs a washer/dryer, too. Why should I have specialized hardware. And a fridge. Then I'm buying....

And not a top loader either. I want front loaders. With color coordinated pedestals. And the icemaker and filtered water dispenser on the refrigerator/freezer (we did specify it had to include a refrigerator/freezer?) shouldn't take up too much space from the freezer, since every good side-by-side should still have space to hold a frozen Tombstone pizza laying flat.

• Reply 5 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I agree and have been saying this for ages. It's actually stopping me buying an Apple TV. It needs a DVD slot. I don't want "another" device under my TV. Until it gets that drive Jobs can stick it where the sun don't shine.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And not a top loader either. I want front loaders. With color coordinated pedestals. And the icemaker and filtered water dispenser on the refrigerator/freezer (we did specify it had to include a refrigerator/freezer?) shouldn't take up too much space from the freezer, since every good side-by-side should still have space to hold a frozen Tombstone pizza laying flat.

Now you're just being unrealistic. Space for the Tombstone. Some people just want the moon.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonar View Post

I can't see this happening, but at least a DVD player is feasible. A BluRay player though? The hardware in the ATV isn't powerful enough to decode everything in software (a typical Disney BD movie is 1920x1080p AVC (H.264) or VC1 (Windows Media 9) video pushing 40Mbps with a lossless 4.6MB PCM or Dolby TrueHD track AND a Java layer running simultaneously). Most full fledged PCs can't handle that. The point is that adding BluRay playback would dramatically increase the size and cost of the box because a bunch of dedicated chips would be necessary to make playback possible, and given Apple's premium (Dell charges $500 to add a BD drive to their PCs), you are looking at a $500-$600 box, minimum. Would you pay that? Let me reprhase. Why would anyone but someone heavily invested in Apple pay that when the PS3 does all of that (short of iTMS support) and more for $400?