Macbook 2 Years From Now

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was originally going to purchase a macbook this June, but due to changed circumstances, it will be much later. Does anyone have any educated guesses as per what the macbook/next notebook from apple will be like in 2010?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alanb92 View Post

I was originally going to purchase a macbook this June, but due to changed circumstances, it will be much later. Does anyone have any educated guesses as per what the macbook/next notebook from apple will be like in 2010?

It will have a glossy white case, or perhaps it will be clad in aluminum. That's all I know.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    well if we go by This law

"Moore's Law describes an important trend in the history of computer hardware: that the number of transistors that can be inexpensively placed on an integrated circuit is increasing exponentially, doubling approximately every two years.[1] The observation was first made by Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore in a 1965 paper.[2][3][4] The trend has continued for more than half a century and is not expected to stop for another decade at least and perhaps much longer.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

so we can say that the Macbooks in two years could be very powerfull....

but that could be easy negated by larger, more demanding programs.. so it comes down to anyones guess
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quad-core 32nm processor (Westmere or Sandy Bridge). Solid-state hard drive. DDR4 memory. As for what it will look like... probably not much different.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    MacBook touch, FTW…!

;^p
  • Reply 5 of 7
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

MacBook touch, FTW?!

;^p

Amen.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Moore's Law is a great way the gauge CPU possibilities in the future... they're clever chaps them guys at Intel.

MacBook 10/03/10: Aluminium chassis, MacBook Air proportions, multi touch display & trackpad, 3GHz Centrino 2 CPU, optional BD-R (Blu-Ray Recorder), BD-ROM/DVD-RW as standard, SSD will still be optional but much cheaper and faster, 2GB DDR3 800MHz+ RAM as standard. Mac OS X 10.5.8. Apple iLife X.

MacBook Pro 10/03/10: Aluminium chassis still, slimmer design like MacBook Air but a bit fatter, Quad Core as standard, nVidia 10000 series GPU, two of the three 'basic' configs will have 4GB 800MHz+ DDR3 RAM as standard. Optional 15in 1920x1200 resolution TFT. 17in will have hi-res TFT as standard. Mac OS X 10.5.8. Apple iLife X.

MacBook Air in 2010: I think the Air will become the 'Mac Mini' in a couple of years, by that I mean - the one which rarely see's a decent refresh and becomes surrounded by rumour of it being axed. And I think this will mainly be due to the natural progression of laptops getting thinner as OEM produce smaller chips, etc etc. So as the MacBook/MacBook Pro get slimmer the Air will lose it's identity and it's unique selling point...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I just purchased a Mac Book Pro a week or so ago, this after not having a portable for years, so let me tell you it is better than I thought it would be. Far better than the crappy old desktops that where never state of the art when I put them together. That is today of course, but what I'm trying to say is don't put it off to long if you can avoid it. I know I've experienced a few set backs in my time, but you do need to keep a positive attitude and work your way out of the situation.

In any event a guess as to 2010.

I have to agree with the many here that have indicated quad cores. This will be a given in the top end product. As to chip specifics I won't even try to guess, but I suspect tat Quad cores will be high end before 2010, thus suitable for Mac Books by then.

On board memory will be 4GB for low end machines by then. I'm actually expecting 4GB to be standard in MBP by the middle of next year.

By 2010 SSD will be the norm, but still lagging traditional disks for awhile. I'm actually hoping for hybrid systems from Apple where the SSD and the OS are right on the mother board. This idea of a SSD emulating the form factor of a traditional disk is bogus in my mind. This would provide room also for the user approved storage in the traditional form factor.

I believe inputs methods may be the things addressed to the most in new hardware. Touch pads are evolving as we have seen but I'm also expecting speech input.

WiFI will still be on the platform but I'm also expecting to see an optional approach to cell or WiMax.

One thing that I think would really work to Apples advantage is to put a iPod port right into the portables. It would make syncing easy, as there would be no cradle to carry around and the machines could leverage each others advantages.

Just some ideas for you.

Dave