Time Capsule using Ethernet or Wireless?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an ethernet cable hooked up to my Time Capsule, but how do you know if it is using the ethernet cable or is backing up wirelessly? Is there anyway to tell?

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Oh that's a very good question. I would say that if you were hooked up via Ethernet, the only way to tell would be to turn Airport off. But a visual indicator would be helpful.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I have a similar problem. I'd rather it use the ethernet when that's connected and not the wireless but there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it. I have it configured to connect to ethernet first but I think the wireless wakes and connected before the ethernet can get out of bed.

IMO it's been an on going annoying problem with Mac OS X since version 1.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    xdanielxdaniel Posts: 29member
    I have an Airport Extreme-N Gigabit Base Station. (Basically Time Capsule w/out the HD). When I plug directly into using Ethernet, I simply turn Wifi off. That way, I know it is using Ethernet and not Wifi. If the Wifi is off, it must be backing up using Ethernet. If the Airport status indicator is on the Menu Bar, simply click it and then click Turn Airport Off. If the Airport status indicator is not on the Menu Bar, goto Applications>Internet Connect, select the Airport Tab and click the Turn Airport Off button.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    In System Preferences/Network click on the "wheel" that is above the padlock, select "Set Service Order" and make sure that Ethernet is at the top of the list.