Woman sat on toilet for 2 years

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Sheriff: Woman sat on toilet for 2 years

Quote:

WICHITA, Kan. - Authorities are considering charges in the bizarre case of a woman who sat on her boyfriend's toilet for two years — so long that her body was stuck to the seat by the time the boyfriend finally called police.

Ness County Sheriff Bryan Whipple said it appeared the 35-year-old Ness City woman's skin had grown around the seat. She initially refused emergency medical services but was finally convinced by responders and her boyfriend that she needed to be checked out at a hospital.

"We pried the toilet seat off with a pry bar and the seat went with her to the hospital," Whipple said. "The hospital removed it."

WTF! No original content needed. Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Sheriff: Woman sat on toilet for 2 years

WTF! No original content needed. Discuss.

Really? Wow thats a really long time
  • Reply 2 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I love it how the authorities are scrambling to find ways to punish the guy when this is a clear-cut case of crazy bitch.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I love it how the authorities are scrambling to find ways to punish the guy when this is a clear-cut case of crazy bitch.

The woman in question is clearly profoundly disturbed (although how that makes her "a bitch" is a little unclear to me), but people have a responsibility to provide aid to someone in extreme distress, or, if they are not able to do so, to seek help.

The guys behavior strikes me as gross negligence, if not depraved indifference, to his girl friend's well being. After the first, you know, couple of weeks, even a marginally reasonable person would start looking around for something beyond "so, do you feel like coming out today?"

Although, after not doing anything for two years, I'd suspect that the guy may qualify as "insane" in his own right.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It suggests a thought experiment: How long would your significant other have to remain on the toilet before you would take it seriously? I'd think 2 hours would be a pretty reasonable threshold.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I still think something's not right with this story.

So no-one else visited this place for two years?

No other family (on either side) met them face-to-face and asked a question?

The whole thing seems too far-fetched to be completely true.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I still think something's not right with this story.

So no-one else visited this place for two years?

No other family (on either side) met them face-to-face and asked a question?

The whole thing seems too far-fetched to be completely true.

Yeah I think you're right. I don't believe it either. And two years of sitting down would have very serious health consequences, beyond just getting stuck.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It suggests a thought experiment: How long would your significant other have to remain on the toilet before you would take it seriously? I'd think 2 hours would be a pretty reasonable threshold.

How many bathrooms are in the house?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    She should eat more fiber.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

How many bathrooms are in the house?

Hopefully more than one...but now you have put an image in my mind that I just cannot get rid of....
  • Reply 10 of 15
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I have a coworker who's on Atkins and it takes him that long to use the can too.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

...people have a responsibility to provide aid to someone in extreme distress, or, if they are not able to do so, to seek help.

Generally, no, actually.

Believe it or not, the general rule is that a person has *no* general duty to act. There are exceptions that do require a duty to act, such as if you 1) caused the situation, 2) started to act and began to rescue someone, 3) have a "special relationship" with that person, or 4) if the jurisdiction has a Good Samaritan/Duty to Aid statute on the books. But there's not enough facts from the article to determine whether 3 or 4 applies. "Husband and wife" is only sometimes recognized as a special relationship. Duty is the first factor in any negligence analysis, so unless there's a duty to act, no liability for negligence attaches.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

I don't know. Consider your significant other being on the toilet for an hour without checking in. I'd be quite sure something was wrong. The other night this girl and I were drinking rather heavily, and she went into the bathroom. She was in there for a solid 15 minutes and I was about to see if she was OK. Turns out she was nodding off from the liquor. In any case, even 15 minutes of actually being on the crapper is a long time. Personally, I think 30 minutes is when I would begin to become concerned. I think 1 hour would be my limit for taking it "seriously."
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Generally, no, actually.

Typical lawyer. I don't think addabox meant legal requirement, but moral responsibility.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I don't know. Consider your significant other being on the toilet for an hour without checking in. I'd be quite sure something was wrong. The other night this girl and I were drinking rather heavily, and she went into the bathroom. She was in there for a solid 15 minutes and I was about to see if she was OK. Turns out she was nodding off from the liquor. In any case, even 15 minutes of actually being on the crapper is a long time. Personally, I think 30 minutes is when I would begin to become concerned. I think 1 hour would be my limit for taking it "seriously."

True. OK, so we've gone from 2 years to 2 weeks to 2 hours to 1 hour.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Typical lawyer. I don't think addabox meant legal requirement, but moral responsibility.

Well, I can't make money off that.

Pfft.