How the Leopard Killed the Tiger

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Today I thought I'd take my work machine (G5) and install Leopard on a second internal drive while the top drive would not be effected and continue running Tiger and all my wares. All I'd have to is hold the option key on boot and select the appropriate OS. Well it didn't quite work out that way.

The first thing I did was install Tiger on the second drive just to make sure that I could do as above. Worked great. Then I installed Leo after all of Tigers updates. Worked fine...until I attempted to restart into Tiger, on the original top drive, and all it did after the initial boot was shutdown. Tried to boot again and same thing...shutdown. Then I ran Disk Utitity/Repair Disk from my Tiger disk and it said that there were serious errors ("Keys out of order. Rebuilding Catalog B Tree. The Volume XXXX could not be repaired". Why I wondered, I never touched that drive.

Took the second drive (Leo) out and still have the same problem. Zapped the PRAM, nada. I hope an updated, new copy (42) of DW can fix things.

BTW, The only option I have available in DU is to reformat the drive. The drive is not available to do a fresh system install.

Any other suggestions other than DW?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Did you backup the original installation before you did this?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

Did you backup the original installation before you did this?

Unfortunately not. At home I'm a backup nut with our business.

Worse case scenario I reformat and reinstall incl my wares. Nothing like a fresh system.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Ran DW this morning. The first attempt failed when the system locked up, so I gave it another try and then she fixed lots of errors:

Quote:

• All errors in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes, node size, node counts, node links, indexes and more have been repaired.

• 9 files had to be recovered. The files may have been lost or thrown away. You must inspect the files to determine

the extent of any damage. You must also determine whether the files should be discarded.

• 2 files had a directory entry with an incorrect flag that was repaired.

• 2 files had an ID that was repaired.

• 18 files had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.

• 1 file had a directory entry with an incorrect starting allocation value that was repaired. You must inspect the file

to determine the extent of any damage. The detailed view of this report lists the file.

• 3 files had a duplicate name that was repaired.

• 1 file had an incorrect actual size that was repaired.

• 2 files had an incorrect key that was repaired.

• 1 file had to be moved to the "Damaged Items" folder.

• 5 folders had an incorrect item count that was repaired.

• 2 folders had a directory entry with an incorrect custom icon flag that was repaired.

• 2 files/folders had to be moved to the "Rescued Items" folder.

• Incorrect values in the Volume Information were repaired.

• Critical values in the Volume Information were incorrect and were repaired.

Disk Information:

Files: 358,451

Folders: 86,246

Free Space: 189.62 GB

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Block Size: 4 K

Disk Sectors: 489,972,528

Media: Maxtor 6Y250M0

Time: 3/17/08 5:19:31 AM

DiskWarrior Version: 3.0.3

So I'm up and running great as far as I can tell. All I can say is this is the hardest I've been down where DW has truly come to the rescue. Keep in mind that my system wouldn't even boot. I'll be ordering my update this week. I do not work for Alsoft, so don't consider this spam.

Tony