New macbook cannot connect to any wireless network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I just bought a new macbook with Leopard 10.5.2 installed on it. I was previously using an ibook G4 with Tiger installed and Airport Express for my wireless. I never had any connection problems with the ibook. This new macbook cannot even see my airport express base station at all, or any of the other wireless networks that show up in my list. When I open up airport utility nothing shows up in the list. Even when I try the Join other network option and type in my network name it will get a connection timeout. When I try the network diagnostics, it will scan forever and never come back with any available wireless networks. I am also running airmoose to see what the available networks are. Same issue, it will scan indefinitely and never come back with any networks.

I made sure I am on version 10.5.2, updated my airport utility to the latest version, and nothing still. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    In "About This Mac" -> "More" - does it show the wireless devices OK? It sounds like the wireless may just be DOA and need replacing - it's within warranty, so I'd call Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    My airport card shows up fine in the system profiler. I ran airmoose for a while longer, and it did finally come back with a list of networks. As soon as I clicked on one it tried to refresh and went back into it's almost endless scan loop. So my airport did manage to detect some networks at least once...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    I just had something like this with my AEBS - if the Express supports it, trying setting to to 802.11a compatibility mode. That got my n-compatible Macs working after the AEBS firmware upgrade, so worth a go?

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Hey everybody, thanks for the responses and suggestions. I ended up taking my macbook in for service a before the long weekend. I just got it back yesterday, and it was a faulty airport card. It was only picking up a very limited number of networks. With the new card I've got no connection problems at all.