Aluminum imac won't power on

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone I posted this under Current Hardware and have only gotten one response. That tells me I put it in the wrong spot or that this isn't a highly encountered problem.

I recently purchased an 24" aluminum imac for work and I have been in love with it. I have had it for less then a month and I came in today and moved the mouse to get it out of sleep mode and the login screen flashed for a split second and then it went black.

Now it will not power on at all. It sounds like it is trying because I keep hearing a buzz sound every couple of seconds. I looked at the RAM and tried a different power cord but neither fixed the problem.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem and found any remedies? It's not a huge deal since this is a work computer and since it is under a month old they said to bring it in and they will give me a new one. I am concerned because I was strongly considering buying the same imac for my personal computer at home but now I'm worried about encountering the same issue x amount of months down the line and having a headache.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmoopy.design View Post

Hi everyone I posted this under Current Hardware and have only gotten one response. That tells me I put it in the wrong spot or that this isn't a highly encountered problem.

I recently purchased an 24" aluminum imac for work and I have been in love with it. I have had it for less then a month and I came in today and moved the mouse to get it out of sleep mode and the login screen flashed for a split second and then it went black.

Now it will not power on at all. It sounds like it is trying because I keep hearing a buzz sound every couple of seconds. I looked at the RAM and tried a different power cord but neither fixed the problem.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem and found any remedies? It's not a huge deal since this is a work computer and since it is under a month old they said to bring it in and they will give me a new one. I am concerned because I was strongly considering buying the same imac for my personal computer at home but now I'm worried about encountering the same issue x amount of months down the line and having a headache.

Thanks everyone!

Take it back and get a new one.

I'm looking to get a iMac but I'm going to wait for the update. Hopefully the 'issues' that have been reported will be pretty much fixed by then. Most of them were related to the video card in the iMac and your particular problem would seem to be something else.

Nonetheless I'm waiting for the next iMac. Otherwise I think the iMac is an immensely appealing computer. I can't wait.