What's eating my hard drive space?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a MacBook with an 80Gb hard drive. I recently installed Leopard, from scratch, then CS3 Web Premium. That's about all that I have installed. I do nothing with iMovie or iDVD or iPhoto or iTunes on this laptop.

When I do a GET INFO regarding my hard drive, it says:

Capacity = 74.21GB

Available = 42.75GB

Used = 31.46GB

Do Leopard and CS3 really take 30GB?

Is there a way to find out what's using 30GB?

I'm going to install Windows under Boot Camp, and need to know what size to make the partition. I don't want to use too much, or too little - I just deleted my Windows partition because it was too small.

Maybe I should get a 250GB hard drive......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I have a MacBook with an 80Gb hard drive. I recently installed Leopard, from scratch, then CS3 Web Premium. That's about all that I have installed. I do nothing with iMovie or iDVD or iPhoto or iTunes on this laptop.

When I do a GET INFO regarding my hard drive, it says:

Capacity = 74.21GB

Available = 42.75GB

Used = 31.46GB

Do Leopard and CS3 really take 30GB?

Is there a way to find out what's using 30GB?

I'm going to install Windows under Boot Camp, and need to know what size to make the partition. I don't want to use too much, or too little - I just deleted my Windows partition because it was too small.

Maybe I should get a 250GB hard drive......

In the Finder, double click on your hard drive icon. Select 'View as List' (Apple-2), and then hit (Apple-J). Make sure 'Calculate all sizes' is ticked.

The size of each folder on your hard disk will now be displayed. Keep drilling down and eventually it'll all add up!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    And to think, I made fun of Vista being bloated. Thats for the tip ^
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    you could just use Disk inventory X

nifty bit of a program to find those odd files that just chew up space...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Wow over 3gb of printer drivers... including over 1.4gb for Epson!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kennywrxkennywrx Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post

Wow over 3gb of printer drivers... including over 1.4gb for Epson!

I couldn't believe it the first time I saw that, those went straight to the trash. It's stupid, complete waste of space. You can also use "Monolingual" to remove files that provide support for other languages. Other than that I'm still trying to find how to put OS X on a diet.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Adobe CS3 eats a fair chunk of space when you give it room.

iLife gobbles quite a bit, especially Garage Band if you install the extra goodies.

The printer drivers... yeah. I always trim that fat out of my computer, but it really is a nice thing for Apple to be doing. It really makes life easier for the unwashed masses. What's funny is that when I didn't install any my Mac still noticed that I had an Epson connected and tried to download Epson drivers from Software Update. I wasn't expecting that. I downloaded the driver from epson.com.

You can snip out all of the extra OS languages during installation to. That saves some space.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Adobe CS3 eats a fair chunk of space when you give it room.

iLife gobbles quite a bit, especially Garage Band if you install the extra goodies.

The printer drivers... yeah. I always trim that fat out of my computer, but it really is a nice thing for Apple to be doing. It really makes life easier for the unwashed masses. What's funny is that when I didn't install any my Mac still noticed that I had an Epson connected and tried to download Epson drivers from Software Update. I wasn't expecting that. I downloaded the driver from epson.com.

You can snip out all of the extra OS languages during installation to. That saves some space.

I have CS3 installed, but I have NEVER even ran it. I will next week though when my DW class starts.