Curious about Mac heart beat lights

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My Mac is about 6 years old and the "heart beat' lights on the G4 tower and on the 22" monitor are still functioning. My Mac runs 24/7. Do these lights ever burn out? Are they replaceable?

Second question: My daughter just got a MacBook Pro and has it set up with an extended 20" monitor. Is it possible to operate, using an attached keyboard and mouse, with the MBP closed? If so, could the dock be switched to the extended (or mirrored) monitor?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

...Second question: My daughter just got a MacBook Pro and has it set up with an extended 20" monitor. Is it possible to operate, using an attached keyboard and mouse, with the MBP closed? If so, could the dock be switched to the extended (or mirrored) monitor?

Sure: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303490

Not sure about the dock, though. I know the menu bar could be moved in pre-OSX days, but haven't kept up with it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Sure: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303490

Not sure about the dock, though. I know the menu bar could be moved in pre-OSX days, but haven't kept up with it.

Thanks for the tip on using the MBp when closed.

I have a desktop with an extended monitor. I was able to move the Dock to the ext. monitor, BUT it is in a vertical position at the left of the screen. I guess the system sees the two screens as one.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Just received the following from my daughter:

I have accidentally caused this behavior to occur. I've closed the lid and then clicked on the mouse before raising the lid. The dock bar moves to my big Dell monitor. Then I can't get the MacBook's monitor to "work". I end up rebooting it to get my MacBook monitor working again.

So, it's not a bug.... It's a feature!!!

-------

Sometimes we get answers just by "pulling and pushing".