OS X terminal connected to work unix sys. question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
At work, we use pc's running NT. To connect to our unix system and run the unix programs, we use Exceed. This saves the company from having to buy a Sun system for us that have to use the unix programs.

Exceed is a software program that lets us log into our unix system and we can run the same programs as if we had a Sun box on our desk. When I had a mac in my office, I used software from Tenon systems to do the same thing.

My 1st question is can an OS X terminal window "see" my companies unix system and can I naviagate through my directories if I connected it to our network?

My 2nd question is if I could log into our unix system, could I run our unix apps as if I was on a Sun box?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Yes to both. Mac OS X is a native UNIX box itself. The only issue I see is that you may need to recompile some of the tools, or get Mac OS X versions (only because the Mac uses a different hardware set). This shouldn;t be hard; most companies already have an OS X/Darwin version or would be willing to recompile it. But if the executable is on a different computer (and you run it by telnet or something), I don't see a problem, since it will run on the remote computer.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    You wouldn't need to recompile.

When you run on your NT box at work, you don't run the program on your box. Exceed is an Xserver running on your box. This simply allows the gui to be displayed there. The UNIX tools that you run are still running on the UNIX box.

Same thing with the Mac. Just as you used Tennon's tools in OS9, you can do the same in OSX. Check out their website.

You can also accomplish the same result for free by running a free Xserver on you OSX box. (Xfree86, XDarwin, etc.)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tristantristan Posts: 79member
    [quote]<strong>

My 1st question is can an OS X terminal window "see" my companies unix system and can I naviagate through my directories if I connected it to our network?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. I connect over an NT network to my AIX boxes through Darwin. Just as long as you get an IP address from your DHCP server and then telnet over to your DNS name or the IP address itself. To connect to the backend we use Reflections for Windows NT but I prefer to work from my ibook.

• Reply 4 of 5
    Here's the thing, the responses here are both true and false.

Your os x machine will be able to see the other computers on the network without any trouble. I've mounted mac, pc and unix machines remotely with this imac running os x, and gone the other direction with a pc because i'm running samba on this machine. So in that regard, terminal will be able to see another machine.

As for your unix apps though, if they require a sun machine, chances are that they're not command-line apps that only get run through terminal. At my father's office, there are a variety of machines. SunSparc's, dells, and macs. On the macs, they all have eXodus, which is an x-windows emulator that can connect remotely to an x-windows server, in the same way that the sunsparc's work. When last I checked, eXodus has a version for os x, although I haven't played around with it yet. Bet you eXceed does a similar thing.

Now, you might be able to get around this if you installed xfree86 on your machine, which is an x-windows installation for os x, which allows you to run x apps on os x. This worked well for me, but I didn't try to see if there was a way to run remote apps with it.

rrabu said basically the same thing, this is just in more detail.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by everyplace:

<strong>As for your unix apps though, if they require a sun machine, chances are that they're not command-line apps that only get run through terminal. At my father's office, there are a variety of machines. SunSparc's, dells, and macs. On the macs, they all have eXodus, which is an x-windows emulator that can connect remotely to an x-windows server, in the same way that the sunsparc's work.</strong><hr></blockquote>

While technically correct, you got the terminology mixed up. In XWindow-speak, the program that actually displays the stuff on screen (i.e. XFree, eXodus, eXceed etc.) is called the "server", whereas the program that get's displayed (e.g. xterm, Netscape, ...) is called the "client". The latter can be on the same machine as the display server, or it can be on a remote machine connected via TCP/IP.

[quote]<strong>

Now, you might be able to get around this if you installed xfree86 on your machine, which is an x-windows installation for os x, which allows you to run x apps on os x. This worked well for me, but I didn't try to see if there was a way to run remote apps with it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

XFree86 is a fully-fledged X-server. As such it can display stuff regardless of whether the program runs on your local machine or a remote one. (You might have to allow remote hosts to use it via "xhost" first, though).

Bye,

RazzFazz