Recommendations for Video Projector

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking for a video projector to use for keynote/pp presentations. I'd like to keep it under $1000 usd. Preferably I'd like to get it for around $750. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Anyone?

I've my eye on this one.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Do you expect that you'll ever use it to watch video? Do you have any control over where the projector will be situated (how far from whatever you'll be projecting on)? Do you care about fan noise?

The projector you linked to has very low rated contrast and very limited connectivity. I would think you could spend just a little more and improve on that-- check out NEC and Sharp models, both of which offer bright, high contrast projectors that do excellent video scaling. Also, check prices at ProjectorPeople.com and Projectorcentral.com, and see what's on sale-- you can often get some killer deals that way.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Do you expect that you'll ever use it to watch video? Do you have any control over where the projector will be situated (how far from whatever you'll be projecting on)? Do you care about fan noise?

The projector you linked to has very low rated contrast and very limited connectivity. I would think you could spend just a little more and improve on that-- check out NEC and Sharp models, both of which offer bright, high contrast projectors that do excellent video scaling. Also, check prices at ProjectorPeople.com and Projectorcentral.com, and see what's on sale-- you can often get some killer deals that way.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not planning to use it to watch video. I'm really not sure how good the quality is on such projectors. I've not thought about the other factors you've raised. I'll need to give them consideration before making a choice.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    For instance, the NEC here has much better contrast, comes with some rebate and free bulb offers, has automatic focus and keystone correction, and weighs about half as much as the Epson you're looking at. The video quality is actually quite good, good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to fire it up for a movie (although videophile black detail extremists might disagree).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    FYI, at this price point DLP projectors (which the NEC is) will look very slightly "softer" than LCD projectors such as the Epson, but you get much better contrast in exchange. For my money the extra "punch" that the higher contrast image provides more than offsets whatever loss of edginess it gives up to LCD (looks a lot better for video, as well).