USB Time Machine HD to AE HD?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a USB connected harddrive that i've been using for months now. How do i go about plugging it into my Airport Extreme and noticing it? I did the software and firmware updates today, plugged it in, and the drive is there in finder, but can't be selected in the Time Machine settings. I'd like to not have to erase everything I've already been backing up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    TIme Machine does not notice network harddrives or USB harddrives plugged into your airport extreme base station. to get that functionality you need to buy the new Time Capsule from apple that works with Time Machine.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Finalblink View Post

TIme Machine does not notice network harddrives or USB harddrives plugged into your airport extreme base station. to get that functionality you need to buy the new Time Capsule from apple that works with Time Machine.

I don't think Apple "officially" says their update allows TimeMachine to backup to USB drives on the Airport Extreme, but the updates allowed me to use TimeMachine to backup to a hard drive I had attached, no problem (and has been backing up just fine since the update occurred). The drive should be formatted in HFS+ (I attached the drive to my MBP and formatted), then plugged it into the USB port of the Airport Extreme and voila -- TimeMachine saw it just fine (when I went into options and looked for which drive to backup to). I think you could move all your "backed up" data to another drive, do the reformat and then load it back on.