No Google Wireless For YOU!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Link to story

Incredibly, Verizon and at&t won the majority of spectrum in the 700Mhz auction. No Google anything for the near term, apparently. \

Additional information. It's being more widely reported now...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I wouldn't be surprised if Google went after the unsold D block which will be re-auctioned at a lower price.

Then again with the open requirements on the sold C block they may not need to.

Maybe Apple could buy some D block. Hmm...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Google went after the unsold D block which will be re-auctioned at a lower price.

Then again with the open requirements on the sold C block they may not need to.

Maybe Apple could buy some D block. Hmm...

Then again, if Google was really serious about changing their corporate direction, they'd simply buy a phone company.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Then again, if Google was really serious about changing their corporate direction, they'd simply buy a phone company.

Good point.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Dispite my dissapointment *sigh* I guess I have to look at it from Google's point of view. All they were concerned with was having the open access rules activated. Now they have forced whomever won (in this case verizon) to allow any device and any application on their network.

Yes verizon won. But hopefully from what I've been observing it won't be the same ol verizon. In fact, they even had an open developers conference mimicing apple's sdk conference. So Google wins because now they can have their google platform run on verizon with all the apps and devices they want without verizon's approval.

Verizon, all scared of Apple now, is actually enthusiastic about this.

Indications are that pricing as well will be flexible, flat rate, and non-contractual.

So lets see what happens.

Perhaps it won't be as bad as we think.